SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some local opinion. I have my eye on a new fixer-uper sailboat that I would like to keep in northern Barnegat Bay / Metedeconk River area. Unfortunately, it is a 6-ft draft. With family living in Point Pleasant, I would like to keep the boat close to the Point Pleasant area so I can work on the boat and hopefully have easy access for day sails while I work on the interior.

Is this draft realistic in the area, or is 6' too limiting? I'd be fine with one or 2 local areas to anchor off of for overnights, and the rest in the Metedeconk and then out to the ocean for longer trips up and down the coast.

thanks in advance!

·
12,233 Posts
Looking for some local opinion. I have my eye on a new fixer-uper sailboat that I would like to keep in northern Barnegat Bay / Metedeconk River area. Unfortunately, it is a 6-ft draft. With family living in Point Pleasant, I would like to keep the boat close to the Point Pleasant area so I can work on the boat and hopefully have easy access for day sails while I work on the interior.

Is this draft realistic in the area, or is 6' too limiting? I'd be fine with one or 2 local areas to anchor off of for overnights, and the rest in the Metedeconk and then out to the ocean for longer trips up and down the coast.

thanks in advance!
4 bridges and 5 miles plus a good 2-3 knot current to Manasquan.
The sailing with 6 ft draft north of Toms River Bridge will be non existent
The sailing below the bridge is possible but still tight except n/s direction

I kept a 28 Islander in Toms River for almost 10 years. 4.2 draft and still ran aground frequently as there are “humps” everywhere.

The winding inlet to Barnegat shoals badly with canyon walls aside the narrow winding channel. Plus Barnegat is not a great safe inlet to begin with. Manesquan however is safe, but there are no real anchorages.

Any NW wind blows the water out of the Barnegat Bay

·
Weekend Sailor
135 Posts
6 Ft. on the Metedeconk is a deal breaker IMO. I wouldn't even consider it.
Drawing 4'11", I anchored in the bay when visiting friends on the river.
Getting there was treacherous - not much clearance in the canal - Had planned to go south, but
turns out the Seaside/Toms river bridge is actually two bridges - the newer of which is a fixed 60 footer.

So, now I stay in Hoffman's in Brielle.

/ed

·
Fortuitous
338 Posts
I would never want that much draft on Barnegat Bay. You could maybe get to some places some of the time, but I don't think it would be much fun overall. 5' would be my absolute max, and I'd much prefer 4'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick feedback. Looks like plan A is out. Any recommendations for marinas / areas with relative proximity to Point Pleasant for a 6’ draft? Would love to have a short drive this season while I work on the rehabbing the interior.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The deeper water of the Bay is south of the Rt. 37 Bridges. Still, some of the waters get pretty thin around the edges. It's been a while, I'd say that one of the Marina's on Forked River, might be able to accommodate your draft.
You might, however want to check with Johnson Brothers on Bay Avenue in Point pleasant. You might be able to get in there at mid-tide or higher? I'd talk to them and ask what they think. It's Closer than Forked River. ( if you're just looking for a close place to work on the boar) Sailing up there, however, with 6 ft. draft is not going to be fun.

·
Weekend Sailor
135 Posts
Or you head north to the Raritan Bay and not have to worry about as much the depth. Over the last 30 years, I've had slips and moorings at Atlantic Highlands, Lockwoods, Morgans, Browns, RYC and Perth Amboy. Good experiences at every one of them .

·
12,233 Posts
I think he wants to work at a boat in Point Pleasent

·
2,445 Posts
Forked River is out. My buddy had a boat with a five foot draft and would bump all the time coming in past Latitudes. With a blow out tide it was a no-go.

The Sea Bright, Sandy Hook area might be a better bet for you.

Reactions: tempest

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I believe the OP just wants to "work" on the boat close to Home in Point Pleasant. Other options would be on the Manasquan River In one of the Brielle marinas, like Hoffman's You won't find many sailboats there though, that's power boat country. Currents are very strong there too.

Just to reiterate though. I would not consider keeping a boat for "use" anywhere on Barnegat Bay with a six foot draft. Sandy Hook Bay is probably the best permanent location for that kind of draft.

I still think that if you just want to "work" on the boat you could get in to Johnson Brothers in Point Pleasant.
At the same time, if you're just working on the boat, you could put it on the hard in a number of places. Why keep it in the Water on Barnegat, if you can't use it there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I should be looking into the Sandy Hook area. The boat should be sailable throughout, so I don't want to keep it on the hard. The idea of biking to the boat and working a few hours in the morning and sailing a bit in the evening would be great, but a car ride is not a deal breaker. Certainly better than spending a frustrating summer bouncing off the bottom.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts