SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a Barnstable cat boat which is a fiberglass version of the Beetle cat boat.

I am looking to install a fiddle block with a cam cleat to help control the mainsheet. Where should the block be located and be able to swivel for different points of sail?

Also does this boat have a drain plug? There is a drain hole in the hull but I do not see a plug underneath since the entire floor is covered. The boat is set up for a battery operated bilge pump...

Brown Wood Wood stain Line Automotive exterior
Plant Sky Boat Watercraft Plant community

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,473 Posts
You probably should join a cat boat association.

Most that I have seen have a bronze bar called a traveler on the transom deck there are videos of the rigging but they're not very good. the problem cat boats are for protected water and that large main sail lifting the boom, Howard Boats' Barnstable Catboat - Howard Boats Barnstable Cat Boat

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,473 Posts
You probably should join a cat boat association.

Most that I have seen have a bronze bar called a traveler on the transom deck there are videos of the rigging, but they're not very good.

the problem is cat boats are for protected water and that large main sail lifting the boom is part of the "experience"

·
Registered
703 Posts
We recently purchased a Barnstable cat boat which is a fiberglass version of the Beetle cat boat.

I am looking to install a fiddle block with a cam cleat to help control the mainsheet. Where should the block be located and be able to swivel for different points of sail?

Also does this boat have a drain plug? There is a drain hole in the hull but I do not see a plug underneath since the entire floor is covered. The boat is set up for a battery operated bilge pump...

View attachment 140541 View attachment 140540

View attachment 140541 View attachment 140540
Spent my early teens on Beetles. Loved them. We had the mainsheet traveler on the stern, then the sheet led forward on the boom to a block adjacent to the aft end of the centerboard trunk. You used that to handle the sheet just hooking it under a horn on the ceat. So I'd put a swiveling cam cleat on the after end of the centerboard trunk.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Also does this boat have a drain plug? There is a drain hole in the hull but I do not see a plug snaptube vidmate underneath since the entire floor is covered. The boat is set up for a battery operated bilge pump...
It's a Sarasota catboat,
Basically a GRP Beetle cat, this was the company that started making them originally and they diddnt sell to well down here in Florida so they moved up north and started Barnstable catboats
Very rare, not many made in Florida,
Or so I've been told!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts