SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i'm currently in the process of refinishing the bottom of my boat. I have everything sanded down to the factory gelcoat. Im going to begin the application of west systems barrier coat and i am unsure of the best way to tape my water line. Im going to apply the multiple coats(4-6) of barrier coat in one day, using the wet lay method(probably not the proper term) as to avoid having to re sand in between coats. The one area that i could see being a problem is the tape line. By the time i get all of the coats on i feel like i wont be able to just peel the tape off. Do i put extra strips of tape over the line so i can peel one off after each coat of paint or would i move closer to the tape with each coat and on my last coat i would end up over the taped line? Also if anyone can chime in. I only have 1 through hull fitting(knot meter) and i would assume it would be best to remove this and barrier coat under the through hull flange, would it be unwise to leave it and barrier coat over the flange a little bit? Thanks in advance for checking out my post and hopefully y'all can help me out!

·
One of None
8,045 Posts
after the last coat, pull the tape up and diagonally away.the BC should still be soft enough that the tape will come away. This is where cloth tape would be great. A pull scraper will help clean the line better than trying to use a knife. When it is cured and really hard it will be very hard clean up the tape line but scored with knife and scraping should still work. Apply bottom paint right away or it may not bond to the BC. A line of tape slightly above the BC edge. Remove tape right after. Easy! Right? Lol

Edit, don't mess with the through hull unless it really needs replacement

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used one strip of 3M exterior tape on mine and after 4 coats of barrier and 3 coats of AF, after 3 weeks it stayed stuck and peeled off just fine. The line was razor sharp and removed just after last coat of AF. No need to use multiple layers. The exterior tape is made of plastic and stayed on through rainstorms for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I use Frogtape and peel off while paint is still wet.

·
Don't give up the ship!
115 Posts
Ok just did this horrendous work on mine.
I put the waterline tape where the paint stops at the white gelcoat (topside) then a strip of tape just under, using the bottom of the top tape as a guide for the top of the tape where the barrier will stop.
then I layered another two more tapes right over the bottom tape.so three layers of tape for the bottom tape, one for the top where the final paint will stop.
peeled off one layer after every two coats..barrier had three coats, two coat of hard bottom paint.
then the final 2 coats of ablative, stopped at the first tape that I had placed, the original water line.
Good luck with the project.
I used Pettit Protect, the grey seems to dry faster and harder than the white.
I sanded between coats (120 grit), rubbing off after sanding with acetone to remove wax residue.
A high build will give a "pebbled " finish, sanding allowed me to keep it nice and smooth...
First coat, not too worried about the texture of the finish, high build as possible, second coat sanded lightly to smooth out some of the texture, but not through the coat, third coat more careful application.
The hard bottom paint is also pretty good at filling the bumps and grooves left by brush or rollers...and yes I lightly sanded between coats to keep smooth...
The ablative I thinned down as I apply, it help keep the coat nice and smooth and shiny like a baby's butt.
Remember to save some of the barrier coat to do the spots under the stands. Give each coat a 1 to 2 inch width at the stands so that when you move the stands you don't end up with ridge lines. (1 coat to the stands, 2nd ,2 inch away, 3rd, 3 to 4 away and so on...)
When you move the stands, put wax paper on top of them to prevent the paint from sticking to them.
Good luck with the project.
Home Dump has epoxy rollers for about 3 bucks.
To fill in under the stands I used the detail rollers, about 4 inch wide. get the woven ones, they hold up well.
Helps to have someone else help out, two is better than one, but 4 people is ideal, with putting on the barrier coats especially if you are planning to do new coat on tacky coat, I gave up on that, couldn't move fast enough. LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts