SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i'm currently in the process of refinishing the bottom of my boat. I have everything sanded down to the factory gelcoat. Im going to begin the application of west systems barrier coat and i am unsure of the best way to tape my water line. Im going to apply the multiple coats(4-6) of barrier coat in one day, using the wet lay method(probably not the proper term) as to avoid having to re sand in between coats. The one area that i could see being a problem is the tape line. By the time i get all of the coats on i feel like i wont be able to just peel the tape off. Do i put extra strips of tape over the line so i can peel one off after each coat of paint or would i move closer to the tape with each coat and on my last coat i would end up over the taped line? Also if anyone can chime in. I only have 1 through hull fitting(knot meter) and i would assume it would be best to remove this and barrier coat under the through hull flange, would it be unwise to leave it and barrier coat over the flange a little bit? Thanks in advance for checking out my post and hopefully y'all can help me out!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts