SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Perrin's You Tube Channel is one I occasionally follow. I'm reposting this message from his cousin in the off chance someone here may be able to help check on his status.

"We do not consider he is in distress but my cousin Barry Perrins (Youtube aka The Old Seadog https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClI...K7VQ3Rmbojvfyw) is currently on passage from Panama to the Marquesas Islands, in his steel 36 foot Van der Stadt sloop White Shadow.

He is making very, very slow progress. We suspect he has some sail issue and most likely barnacles also slowing his progress. He has been outbound from Panama for 66 days and is currently around 360nm east of the Marquesas. Position yesterday was:
8° 28’ 59” S
133° 53’ 25” W

-8.4832 -133.8904

Only currently making around 2 knts, but remains on course.

Yacht Name White Shadow
MMSI: 235024511
Call Sign: MHFA8
Flag: United Kingdom [GB]
AIS Vessel Type: Sailing Vessel

He does have SSB but suspect may not be functioning, so presume he only has functioning VHF now.

We do not consider he is in distress, but if anyone might be on passage in the area, could they give him a call on VHF over next week or so.

I would appreciate if the knowledgeable ocean voyagers out there might also be able to relay this request to any other distance cruising networks and forums. I can be contacted at [email protected]"

·
Administrator
7,534 Posts
He is making perfect time.

I use my self-made formula for getting 'home' on passages:

Passage length @ 2 knots plus 1 day stuff around time after the initial incident.

Panama to Marquesas is long. About 4,200 nms.
Most stop in at the Galapagos. If he didn't his incident must have happened downwind than that.

3,200nms @ 2 knots = 66 days.

But also include the first 1,000 nms. They can be very difficult because on cantrary current and lack of wind untill quite close to the Galapagos.

If they know he is on course and going 2kts he must be communicating some way (via satellite).
His blips then show he is having a slow trip after some incident.

Out there, between Galapagos and Marquess is nothing. Like, left me repeat that: Nothing.

It's 3,000+ miles to Mexico, the closest coast.
We never saw a ship for 2 weeks.

It's a great test for a person. There ain't no help, buckaroo. It ain't Kansas.

Good luck to this guy bringing his boat home alone and unassisted. It takes someone special.

Mark

·
Administrator
7,534 Posts
But he certainly may need a tow in the last few miles. It's not an easy group of islands to approach. No marinas to help either.

Crusiers in the anchorages should be notified. If they know then someone will assist. :)

Reactions: zeehag and mbianka

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
What is the deal with the saying about the marquesas passage..trailing a line from the bow keeps the barnies off?
Is that line beating/sweeping them off the hull?
Wonder how the paint likes it

·
Administrator
7,534 Posts
What is the deal with the saying about the marquesas passage..trailing a line from the bow keeps the barnies off?
Is that line beating/sweeping them off the hull?
Wonder how the paint likes it

ive never heard of it before.
Goose barnacles normally collect down aft and under the counter so I dunno how effective it would be.

Mark

Reactions: zeehag

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Per another site, French Navy? sent out a plane, found the boat, talked to barry over a radio. All seems fine at the moment. Does have some issues with a self steering device, and the mast rigging. Nothing that requires a rescue at this moment in time.

marty

·
Administrator
7,534 Posts
Great news.

Auto pilot or self staring issues will bring u back to 2 knots too. I doubt a solo sailor can steer more than 8 hours per day for 3 weeks. So that brings you back to 50 miles per day. Plus a bit of drift.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I was afraid that he may have gone overboard, suffered a major injury, died in a storm after shortening sail and the self steering kept boat plugging along with greatly reduced speed in the lighter winds after the storm passed. Glad they were able to make contact with him to ease his relatives worries.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
I learned this via a post on the Jeanneau-Owners facebook page which his cousin Malcolm Perrins runs. Malcolm is glad there has been contact. BUT, with that said, will only be truly relieved when he sees a picture of him at a bar on land eating pizza with a pitcher of beer on table, and glass in hand!
He does have plenty of food for the stretch to get to land.

marty

·
Administrator
7,534 Posts
It shows you need to have food for far longer than projected voyage length.
I have a few months 'hard rations' cans of food and bags of pasta and rice... i never eat that stuff normally. They last for years in the cupboard. (not so long in the bilge... so strike that as storage as theres too much moisture there.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Mark-
I've only heard of these recently, so haven't tried any yet. But if you take a look online for "Silicone food storage bags" there are now a number of vendors making "ZipLock" bags out of a silicone material, which is supposed to be much better (impermeable) than even the brand name freezer-grade bags. Should be able to keep things dry even in the bilge, if they're as good as claimed.

·
Administrator
7,534 Posts
It would be a bit crappy if the island had run out of beer.

And Pizza dough.

:grin

Well done to him!!!!!

:cut_out_animated_em

Reactions: mbianka

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Barry has posted on Facebook with details of his crossing.

·
Administrator
7,534 Posts
Barry has posted on Facebook with details of his crossing.
Is it Public? Or Friends only? If its public, could we have a link please? :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts