SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!
I'm relatively new to sailing. I tried searching the forums for some basics but I didn't find what I needed. I figure this thread will help others in the future as well.
I have a Seaward Slipper 17 that has a few dings in the surface fiberglass after my first season sailing (and trailering etc.)
I'm wondering what needs repair, what's cosmetic, and how to do it?
Here are a few spots: first is on the bow:

This is mostly from trailering and maybe some contact when docking. I've improved since I started but it was a little rough at first.

The next one:

Is on the keel. I'm not sure if this requires repair or is mostly cosmetic. I don't want to damage the fiberglass, but maybe this isn't really a concern.
Finally, the last one:

Is the rudder. Same questions as above.

I'm interested in any suggestions/help you can provide, and I will post the subsequent repair process to this thread. I'm an avid woodworker so I'm willing to delve pretty deep into the repair process and I'm comfortable with epoxies and refinishes (on wood) so I'm hoping I can learn some new skills for fiberglass.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Geez. I just bought this booklet at WM for ~$10. Should have known it could have been found on the web. It is really very informative!
I bought mine as well - over 20 years ago before the internet existed.:D

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Or you could fill the first 2 with MarineTex, (Bondo for boats) and go sailing. The rudder would require more effort, remove rotten/weak material (wood, foam or both) refair, reglass etc., or replace the MarineTex the PO used or just use it till you lose it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you. While the book is quite helpful, it is a little harder to identify to what level it is damaged, and which repair to do from just the manual alone.

It appears to be through the outer layer of gelcoat/resin but not through the glass sheets which is why I was wondering if this is more of a layered repair of just resin, or a few sheets of glass, or MarineTex? I know the rudder is more involved. I'm going to attempt sanding out the two pits/dings and then build them up with fiberglass resin, seems to be the solution?

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I would use thickened epoxy not fiberglass resin. Epoxy sticks better, is more waterproof, and is easier to work with.

If the glass layers are not damaged just fill with thickened epoxy, fair and paint.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,290 Posts
That first pic looks pretty bad - you're right into the laminate. I'd fill & fair it with thickened epoxy and then put some glass cloth over it - a couple of layers.

Same for the rudder - looks like the foam core is exposed. It needs to be well sealed up or it will get saturated..

The nicks & chips can just be filled with thickened epoxy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts