SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good 1-2 day course in the basics of Diesel engine maintenance and troubleshooting?

·
Old soul
4,978 Posts
Not sure if they have one in your area, but check out Mack Boring. My partner and I both took the three day version a couple of years ago. Excellent course for someone like me who knew next to nothing about diesel engines. Lots of hands on. The instructor we had was patient and excellent.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Different places use different diesels for their instruction. You my want to check to make sure you found one that uses your same type of engine/manufacturer.

There are also courses in Annapolis and at the Wooden Boat School in Maine. It would be worth the drive to be able to work on something similar to what you have.

I think DavidPM complete diesel training. You may want to send him a PM about it.

Regards,
Brad

·
Registered
865 Posts
Mack Boring will send their show on the road. The club I belong to sponsored a one day diesel program in house; we had about 30 attend the program and it worked out to be substantially cheaper than going to their facility.

A half a dozen of us followed up with the three day hands on program. As I recall, I received a substantial discount because I had taken the one-day course previously.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There is a basic two day course that is followed up by another two day level II course at the Annapolis School of Seamanship in Annapolis, MD. I have taken both and was very happy.
Annapolis School of Seamanship
+1 on this school. Great course, the second 2 days well worth the extra time and money.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Don't know if they still do it, but Mass Maritime ran a course we took that involved taking one apart, right down to removing a cylinder, and putting it back together and starting it up. I have to admit that I was shocked when it ran.

This course was excellent. The facility is excellent. Highly recommended if they still do it...think it was a weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts