SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine who works at a local marina, mostly on sailboats, may be following a girl friend to Baton Rouge, LA. I've never been there.
I couldn't find any big east coast like marina's like he is used to in CT. I suspect commercial barges, small power boats and small sail.
Anyone know what is going on there? Any ideas on what a young fellow could do for a couple years, marine related in BR while the gf gets her masters?

·
Registered
339 Posts
When I lived down there and needed a job the Oilrigs always needed hands. Not sure if he's into that, but it pays well if you don't mind being offshore for a week or two at a time.

Best of luck

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
There's no real sailing in BR, come on down to NO and try to catch on at the NOYC, or else hang out at the SYC to catch a ride on the Wednesdaay or Friday evening races, which start once Daylight Savings does.

That 's pleasure sailing. For commercial stuff, try any of the oilfield operators out of Morgan City, Venice, Fourchon, or Cameron. But your friend will need a license, or at least an MMD.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's no real sailing in BR, come on down to NO and try to catch on at the NOYC, or else hang out at the SYC to catch a ride on the Wednesdaay or Friday evening races, which start once Daylight Savings does.

That 's pleasure sailing. For commercial stuff, try any of the oilfield operators out of Morgan City, Venice, Fourchon, or Cameron. But your friend will need a license, or at least an MMD.
LOL
nolatom your post looks like it is full of important things go know.
But I don't know all your abbreviations
NO
NOYC
SYC
MMD
Thanks

What about construction? He loves his rigging job but guys do stuff for girls.

·
Registered
65 Posts
LOL
nolatom your post looks like it is full of important things go know.
But I don't know all your abbreviations
NO
NOYC
SYC
MMD
Thanks

What about construction? He loves his rigging job but guys do stuff for girls.
NO = New Orleans
NOYC= above plus yacht club
SYC = Southern + Yacht club
MMD= merchant mariner document, i.e ( in other words) a USCG (united States Coast Guard) document, basically a "registered" deckhand.
Thanks = not sure about that one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.