SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm glad you didn't just kill off the bats. As has been pointed out, bats are really good to have around. As MedSailer pointed out bats carry rabies but different species of bats have differing rates of rabies.

I have spent much time around bats and even handling bats. I am a caver and have worked for Bat Conservation International. I am also president of a nonprofit that owns a nice bat cave. In fact, my boat is name Zotz which translate to "bat" in many of the Mayan languages.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your little furry friends.

Allan

·
Registered
525 Posts
Do you have a Batman suit Allan? Go on, you can admit it, you're amongst friends ;)
No, I honestly don't. I do however have clothes that are covered in bat guano! :laugher

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
I'm glad you didn't just kill off the bats. As has been pointed out, bats are really good to have around. As MedSailer pointed out bats carry rabies but different species of bats have differing rates of rabies.

I have spent much time around bats and even handling bats. I am a caver and have worked for Bat Conservation International. I am also president of a nonprofit that owns a nice bat cave. In fact, my boat is name Zotz which translate to "bat" in many of the Mayan languages.

Keep up the good work and enjoy your little furry friends. Allan
You might want to speak to Bob Perry - he is using your avatar. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
new count on the bats in the box have around 40 to 50 ... but they are hard to count ... and no i do not play with them just watch them ... been there and done that on the rabies shots, not something I would want to go thru again or recommend

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Two cases of bat induced rabies a year in a population of 300 million?
Lightning kills 50 a year in the same population.
A lottery jackpot hits up to 200 a year, again in the same population.
And that is only for power ball and mega millions.

Duh.

"Duh?" Wow, I feel like I'm in a junior high locker room. Takes me back. :rolleyes:

BTW, 300million people has nothing to do with ones odds of getting rabies. 300million people are not exposed to a bat each year. Kind of like the lottery slogan "you got to be in it to win it" to leverage your metaphor.

The above guidelines are based on the CDC's recommendations. I'm not trying to spread panic, just educate someone who's near a bat of the real dangers of contact. As I mentioned above, if you are exposed to a bat (and exposure means you can't be SURE it didn't touch you) you are closer to the 1/100 chance of death than any statistics you made up.

I would personally MUCH rather golf in a lightning storm (and I HATE golf!) than pet or mess with a wild bat.

MedSailor

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
MedSailor, I will direct this to you, No I am not trying to keep the bats as pets. I look at it as the fact that there is to much killing going on and I do not wish to be part of it, even if it is a flying rodent. I went thru the rabies shots when I was young and it is the last thing I would want to try again or have happen. It is a very painful treatment.
As to the bats, this is the fourth time they have taken residence in the sail, why I do not know or really care ... it just seems that they like my sail for some reason so I am makeing a bad situation into a good one, or trying to. nThe bats have a place on this planet so if I have to deal with them in my sail then the bat box seems to be the way to go. I have also noticed that the bug population seems to have gone down quite a bit.
I am cautious when near them and understand they can carry some bad things, rabies being only one of them. I would disagree with you that just being around them you can rabies.
cheers

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Just a cautionary note.

If this happened in the UK and the relevant authorities got to here of it, I suspect you might have a problem as 7 of the bat species found there are endangered.

Evidence of bats being present have forced all sorts of activities to be put on hold.

·
Senior Slacker
4,223 Posts
Just to put bats and rabies into a bit of perspective here--

Rabies is a VERY serious concern with bats. It's 100% fatal once a patient becomes symptomatic. However, the number of human fatalities in the US is on the order of 1 to 3 per year. In contrast, arbovirus encephalitis occurs in about 3000 americans each year, and results in about a 30% mortality rate. In other words, about 1000 people per year die from arbovirus encephalitis in the US. This particular form of encephalitis (an infection of the brain) is almost always transmitted by mosquitos. So, it would appear that having bats around lowers ones probability of dying from arbovirus encephalitis (not to mention other mosquito-borne diseases) far more than it raises ones probability of contracting rabies.

By all means, one should be cautious about coming into direct contact with bats, and sick bats should NEVER be handled. However, relative to the chances of contracting some other fatal disease from the mosquitos that non-existent bats aren't eating, the chance of getting rabies from the bats in a bat box near your boat are pretty tiny.

Reactions: MastUndSchotbruch

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
MedSailor, I will direct this to you, No I am not trying to keep the bats as pets. I look at it as the fact that there is to much killing going on and I do not wish to be part of it, even if it is a flying rodent. I went thru the rabies shots when I was young and it is the last thing I would want to try again or have happen. It is a very painful treatment.
As to the bats, this is the fourth time they have taken residence in the sail, why I do not know or really care ... it just seems that they like my sail for some reason so I am makeing a bad situation into a good one, or trying to. nThe bats have a place on this planet so if I have to deal with them in my sail then the bat box seems to be the way to go. I have also noticed that the bug population seems to have gone down quite a bit.
I am cautious when near them and understand they can carry some bad things, rabies being only one of them. I would disagree with you that just being around them you can rabies.
cheers
The CDC's definition of "exposure" IS a bit trigger-happy isn't it? I honestly don't know much about bat behavior, but a friend of mine runs a wild animal park with 150 resident bats. I mentioned to him that statistically at least one has rabies, which he agreed with. They never bother anyone, nor any of the guests and kids a the park. My assumption is that you won't be bitten/exposed unless you're in a confined space with a scared bat, or if you intentionally mess with one.

My advice to be careful was based on the thought that a sailboat owner with one in the rigging might very well either mess with it to get it to go away, or might end up down below with a scared bat. Knowing what I know medically on the subject I thought I should encourage common sense on the subject as there are higher consequences then say, a ferrell cat bite.

You mention killing of bats in your post addressed to me. I do not endorse killing bats period. If any of my posts sounded like I do, then I can assure you that they were misinterpreted. Personally I quite like bats. We used to have resident bats at our hose in Indonesia, and we loved them because they ate the mozzies during a dengue fever outbreak. I also just feel a certain kind of wonder at these well adapted cute flying weird things.

As for the risk of rabies, it sounds like you do not intend to mess with the bats, and more to the point, you've been vaccinated! So you, personally, have very little to worry about.

You've had the rabies series, so you're one of the few who know. The series itself it the other part I was trying to save people from. Scary rabies aside, most people don't realize that if they were go to the doctor after being down below with a bat on a boat, the series would be recommended and if you don't have good insurance it will cost about 10K, and as you know, it is NOTHING like a tetanus shot after stepping on a rusty nail is it?

Enjoy your pets!
MedSailor

PS How did you get "lucky" enough to have the rabies series?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
MedSailor ... totally understand your post and thank you ... they are wonderful little critters to have around ... as to them getting inside I would say that chance is about 1 in a 1000 ...
The reason I had the rabies series was I got bite by a Rabied dog when I was a youngster and I still remember the pain that was entailed in the treatment ...
It is good to be very cautious with any wild animal ... BTW I am a retired doctor, was the med examiner in northern AZ for 18 years .... seen a lot of strange things in that time ...
cheers

·
Senior Moment Member
13,282 Posts
MedSailor ... totally understand your post and thank you ... they are wonderful little critters to have around ... as to them getting inside I would say that chance is about 1 in a 1000 ...
The reason I had the rabies series was I got bite by a Rabied dog when I was a youngster and I still remember the pain that was entailed in the treatment ...
It is good to be very cautious with any wild animal ... BTW I am a retired doctor, was the med examiner in northern AZ for 18 years .... seen a lot of strange things in that time ...cheers
How about telling us about the really strange ones on the OFF TOPIC forum? Always love a really weird story. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
18 years of investigating deaths and how they happen is enough for me ... believe me when i tell you, you do not want to hear it! And I do not like reliving the past ... so I just sail around now ...

cheers

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
That's a lot of guano! If you find yourself longing to watch some old Bela Lugosi movies, better go get some strings of garlic to hang around the companionway opening.:)

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Wooooo Hooooooooooo I now have over 100 bats in the bat box
Great! Is that enough for dinner?

Oh, sorry, that was offsides wasn't it. ;)

Hey if you get enough of them, maybe their combined wing-beats can make wind for your boat. Or you could tie them together to pull you like African Swallows. Oh, wait, African Swallows aren't migratory are they?

MedSailor

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi:

There used to be little brown bats around here by the hundreds. I counted 242 leaving my attic one night. About the time I finally got the attic sealed up properly and got them evicted, a number of years went by and the white nose disease, something like that, pretty much killed them all. I don't think I have seen a bat in over 2 years.

I have had to capture and release 3 or 4 over the years. Job one is to restrain the cat. For some reason, a bat won't settle with a cat leaping at it.

hboy

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Same here in the Adirondacks. There used to be lots of bats. They were fun to watch darting in and out of the light to catch insects at night. Have not seen one for a couple of years now. The White Nose syndrome seems to have killed them all.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts