SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Detachable member
377 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a battery charger to keep the batteries topped up this winter. Anything in particular i need to look for. I was just going to go to the Autozone or Home Depot down the street & pick up an auto charger.

·
Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Bad idea... most aren't designed for deep cycle batteries, and most can't be left unattended... you want a three-stage smart battery charger. :) Iota makes a good one. :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Reaction score
Here’s a great article about battery chargers by MaineSail. I ended up getting the Sterling charger he recommends. It’s not cheap, but anything good is rarely cheap.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Reaction score
I want to get a battery charger to keep the batteries topped up this winter. Anything in particular i need to look for. I was just going to go to the Autozone or Home Depot down the street & pick up an auto charger.
It is tough to give any useful advice without more information. What kind of batteries do you have? How big is your battery bank? Do you want to charge more than one bank? Do you have plans to expand or upgrade your battery bank? How do you use your batteries?

I agree, buying an automotive charger is a bad idea.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Dirt Free
3,425 Posts
Reaction score
The AC and DC sides on the majority of automotive chargers are not isolated (a key feature of marine chargers). Most can introduce AC to the DC side and vice versa. Not a big deal on a car but a serious safety issue on a boat and the water surrounding it when plugged into shore power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts