SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to the forum,

I have owned my boat for just about a year and have it at Dinner Key Marina in Miami. It spend a lot of the time on shore power which at this marina is very reliable.

We have a xantrex 2000 battery charger inverter with a link 2000 monitor panel.

We have 3 AGM house bank and a smaller starter agm battery. The alternator and the feed from the charger goes to the house bank and there is a west marine 70-3 battery combiner linking the start batt to the house bank. I understand this is a common setup.

On the link 2000 panel when on "float" setting my house bank reads 13.2 and the starter battery reads 12.8. I have taken reading from the starter battery lead to the battery combiner when the engine is running and it does indeed pass through the charge from the alternator.

I am getting to my question now. should the starter battery be receiving any float charge with that type of combiner when it is connected to the shore power. The reason I ask is that the starter battery was brand new when we bought the boat but it has frequently been in a discharged state when say after a couple of weeks we try to start the engine only to see the voltage drop from 12.8 to around 10 on the starting panel in the cockpit and have to combine the banks with the battery switch to "both" to get going.

The battery combiner has a red led but it does not light when the pass through volts are going to the starter bank, which could just be a bad led.

Would anyone recommend something like a xantrax echo charger to get a float charge over to the starter batt when sitting on shore power like we do?

Thanks people sorry for the long question.

Paul

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
Yes, the start battery should receive a float charge when the house bank does. The combiner closes at 13.1 volts on any bank. It sound to me like you have a bad start battery. It should not drop to 10 volts during starting and should have no problem starting the engine by itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comment Brian. I think from the replies I have received on this from another sailing forum that it may well be the combiner at fault because when the house bank is on trickle charge the volts at the starter battery are only 12.8. So the battery combiner is not passing through the trickle charge voltage of 13.2. I will look into having the set point checked on the combiner.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Thanks for the comment Brian. I think from the replies I have received on this from another sailing forum that it may well be the combiner at fault because when the house bank is on trickle charge the volts at the starter battery are only 12.8. So the battery combiner is not passing through the trickle charge voltage of 13.2. I will look into having the set point checked on the combiner.
Bump up the float voltage in your charger settings. Sounds like you are simply below the "combine" voltage.. The WM Combiner 70 was made by Yandina and carries a lifetime warranty. They are very reliable despite being quite crudely built. The newer ones are less crude but the old ones still work well and last for a very long time..

Lifeline AGM Batteries = 13.2V - 13.4V Float (they tend to do better at 13.4V)

Deka / East Penn AGM = 13.4 - 13.6V (they also tend to do better at 13.6V tan 13.4V)

13.2V is a very low float setting....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.