SailNet Community banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
The yard may not let a genset run unattended. (And, it may walk away unless secured.)

The genset is going to be putting out an unknown voltage and amperage, possibly similar to a bulk charging rate. Unless you know the rate--there's no way to answer "how long" except by standing there and checking the batteries from time to time. And of course bring distilled water, the genset may cook them a bit.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Honda 2000i output is a continuous load 110v at 1600w; at 12v it only puts out 8amps.
Figure your need, divide it by 8amps a hour and go buy a solar panel. Don't get me wrong, I use a Honda to power my air conditioner and the Admiral's hair dryer, coffee pot etc.. It has it's place on board, but not as a battery charger.

Honda Power Equipment - EU2000i

·
Senior Mumble
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I believe the unit I may e able to borrow is the Honda 2000, which outputs (puts out?) 16.7 A AC. My True Charge 20+ uses 6.5A rms max, typical 4.6A rms to put out 20A at 12v DC, so I should be able to run it at maximum, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
A honda genset will run at max in this case. Not familiar with the "i" series, as I have an older non inverter EB3500. Assuming that the one you can borrow is like mine, in that when the house charger is not using full amp/volts etc, the engine will then should/may go to an idle. I also have a switch that will NOT allow my genset to idle, it is full bore all the time. I use this sometimes when using it with power tools for work purposes, but usually I have it on the idle ability setting.

Good luck
marty

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Yep, like I said, 1600w continuous, that would run your house charger, which would then put out the full 20 amps to your batteries.
I provided the 8amp 12v output as an illustration to show that is not the way to do it.

The 'i' model is with a inverter, provides more stable power for digital electronics (PC's, LCD's etc..).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts