SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all of my 4 gauge cables going from my two deep cycle batteries to the battery power switch (as well as the one going from battery switch to the alternator). The switch has the option to run on battery 1, 2 or both. But I'm fairly certain the way it was hooked up it was running on both batteries regardless whether on 1, 2 or both. I thought I could fix that and here's what I did....

I connected both of negative terminals of the batteries together and then ran another cable to the engine ground. I ran a cable from the + terminal of battery 1 to the corresponding connection on the back of the switch. Ran another cable from + on battery 2 to the corresponding connection on the back of switch. 3rd cable was attached to the last available port on the back of the switch and connected to the alternator. So now everything is hooked up. All of the electronics are working. But i go to turn the switch off and nothing happens. Everything stays on. It doesn't appear to be switching from battery 1 and 2 either.

Hopefully this is just a silly oversight on my part. Can anyone offer advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Unless theres some wiring you didn't tell us about,bet you got a silly oversight jammed in the unit, preventing the knob from turning the switching mechanism.away from 'both' Another oversight would be switching thru 'off 'with engine running, but you knew that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
...3rd cable was attached to the last available port on the back of the switch and connected to the alternator....
You should have attached the cable to/from the control panel to the "Common" post, did you?
If you did, it could be that the switch is defective and not breaking the connection. Did you "feel" or hear anything move when you switch to off?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Simple test with a voltmeter. Continuity between 1-common, 2-common should both be open in "off" at batt 1" 1-common, Zero resistance etc. Test this with the leads off. If the switch is good the leds must be mixed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts