SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 sets of batteries on my 30ft. sailboat. 2 for the engine and running lights and 2 for radio, tape deck,bilge,etc. both independent of each other with their own battery switch. Yesterday, I decided to use position "2" for the radio since I normally run position "1" all the time and didn't get anything to come on from that panel. When I checked both batteries, they read "fully charged". I then went back to position "1" and everything worked fine. Are my cables hooked up wrong or is there another reason for this?

·
Registered
152 Posts
It sounds like you have an open circuit path. A few minutes with an ohm meter should find the problem easliy enough if you have a circuit diagram. If not, you'll need to take some time tracing the circuit and keep the information for future reference. Either way it should not take much time to find.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I have 2 sets of batteries on my 30ft. sailboat. 2 for the engine and running lights and 2 for radio, tape deck,bilge,etc. both independent of each other with their own battery switch. Yesterday, I decided to use position "2" for the radio since I normally run position "1" all the time and didn't get anything to come on from that panel. When I checked both batteries, they read "fully charged". I then went back to position "1" and everything worked fine. Are my cables hooked up wrong or is there another reason for this?
Yes, your cables are probably hooked up wrongly. What do you mean when you said each battery has it's own switch? And there's a 1,2,both switch as well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The PO had two panels put in with each having its own battery switch. One panel operates engine,lights and a separate panel with switch operates radio,bilge, stereo,interior lights.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Assume you are using a volt meter the check the charge on the batteries. I would also use a battery specific gravity tester. How is the alternator connected to the two battery banks for charging?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
If you have 2 separate 1,2,both switches for 2 banks (one not needed) that doubles the need to find out how it is wired. Simple is always better.

·
Catboat
33 Posts
All the above are true, but I'd first check to make sure the bank that doesn't work has a really great ground connection. When that's weak it stops a battery's use completely. I've twice sailed into a slip because of that. NOT good for the nerves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts