SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...

I have been looking at the Battelstick tiller extensions. Does anyone have any experience with them? I am wondering two things. First, does that piece of rubber that joins the extension to the tiller break in a week?

Second, on the telescoping split grip one, does the extended stay locked when twisted or does it come loose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I personally don't care for the rubber joint on those, and use the Forespar adjustable tiller with the quick release on my boat. It stays locked in position at whatever length I set it to. Push the button and its gone.

Kary

·
Registered
407 Posts
If the rubber that is used is in any way the same rubber used in the universal joint for a sailboard mast, there is no way it will break in a week. I have an old Bic board (circa 1988) and the universal is still going strong.

·
Flotsam with attitude
29 Posts
I had a battle stick on my last boat - a J22.
It is robust, the grip is positive, and the twist-lock extension is very easy to handle as you move along the boat.
Can't report any problems with it.

I'm now sailing a British built Parker Super Seal 26 - would be happy to hear from anyone with the same boat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you're looking for a bullet-proof tiller extension - check out the ones offered by JCD Custom Race Parts. They definitely have the best universal joints. They are a little pricey but will outlast all other flexible joints

JCD Custom Race Parts

quality stuff........

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I suppose you guys think a busted carbon fibre golf-club handle with a hole drilled into it is too cheap, eh?
LOL! One thing I quickly noticed about tiller extenders and pricing. The coolest name costs the most!

Big Stick = cheapest
Battle Stick = medium expense
Lightning Stick = lots of expense

Thanks for all the replies.

EDIT: Actually, I am wrong, the big stick was more expensive then I remembered...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts