SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 14 Posts

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Certain Buccanner''s are dangerous designs.

This is a fact. I would not even leave the dock on a Buccanner.

Check this fact out in other forums. My statements will be confirmed.

Mike Moss.

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
It''s also irresponsible for you to try to convince others who are not as experianced or informed.

Buccanners are the joke of the sailboat industry. There is no analogy to cars. Cars are easy to drive and when the break down we can walk.

Boating can be difficult and dangerous.

Jolly Man: YOUR BOAT IS GOING TO TIP OVER AND SINK. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS?

Mike Moss.

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
bayliner buccaneer

I'm a licensed captain (100 ton) and have sailed extensively between Hawaii, Canada and Mexico and everywhere in between on every kind of sailboat imaginable. For eight years I taught sailing on an Annapolis 44. I'm also the proud owner of a 30 foot Bayliner Buccaneer. In addition to being a good performer it's stable and well built. There are other smaller Bayliners that are not as seaworthy but consider their intended uses.They're easily trailerable and roomy as all get out. I knew a couple that lived on one. What's more, they're self righting and self bailing. How many trailables can make that claim? These are great boats if you use them right.

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
I own a 1981 US Yachts 30' sailboat. United Sailing Yachts was a subsidary of Bayliner, but the building quality was far superior. Hence, US Yachts are have been attached with the "stigma" of being a Bucc, even though they really aren't. My boat is a Doug Peterson design (racer/cruiser), and was pretty solidly built. All US Yachts owners will agree- they are damn solid boats, sail like a dream, and not one has ever had a bottom blister. The mold to the US 30 was sold to Pearon (after Bayliner axed production of sailboats so they could focus on power boats, like the Capri), and was produced as the 303 Triton. US Yachts look nothing like Buccs.

Buccs on the other hand... There are pluses and minuses, and some ugly designs combined with poor QC gave them a bad rep. There are some Bucc owners who swear by their boats, and have diligently fortified and restored them. They are an economical boat, as they can be acquired on the cheap. Not everyone can afford a brand-new boat, or an overpriced used O'Day daysailor. Not all Buccs are lemons, either- there are some solidly built ones, too.

So don't be too quick to bash a Bucc on hearsay or one experience. I have seen brand new Hunters with delamination and blisters, brand new Tartans and Hanses that are already falling apart, sailed on O'Days and Catalinas that sailed like absolute crap, etc etc. The only way you'll know if you are buying a good boat of any brand versus a lemon is to "test drive" the thing (sailing is a requirement), and inspect the hell out of it (electrical, mechanical, and plumbing.)

Chris
us 30' Wu-Wei
http://www.diysailor.com
(Our website is dedicated to US Yachts, but you can find Bucc info here, too!)

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Buccaneer bashing

You know, I am new to this site but have to say that if you don't like the boat then get a different one. It is funny how everyone is quick to bash the buccaneer but what about all the other boats that are not so desireable. I can think of oh say macgregor, hunter, catalina just to name a few. I have sailed on, holidayed on and grew up on eight different boats ranging from C&C to Abote and all have had good and bad things about them; this boat has been no different. I currently own the Peterson hull 29.5 and have had in in 25+ knot winds with 6-7 foot waves and it handled beautifully. Not once did I feel that the boat was unseaworthy or that I was risking my life or that of my family. Maintain and respect your boat and it will last for years. Let's remember, everyone thought that a pinto was a great car at one time. Again, if you don't like this particular type of boat then buy a different one. We are supposed to be enjoying the activity not comparing who has the better toy. I could be worse, you could switch to power and really feel safe tied to the dock.

From the rantings of someone who loves the sport no matter what I sail

humbly yours
Jas

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
John,

Technically, your boat is NOT a Bucc- it's a US Yacht! Funny, we had the rigger out a few weeks ago to replace the Windex, pulleys for the flag lines, retape the spreaders, inspect the rigging and tune the mast. The rigger thought our boat was newer and could not believe she is 27 years old. We get that a lot, she has sleek lines. I also received two offers by individuals wishing to buy her on the same day- WTF?! She's not even for sale! I replied, "Uh, NO! Not after I've just spent three days refinishing brightwork! Get your OWN US Yacht!"

Weather window once again mislead us, and we found ourselves 13 miles offshore battling a storm. Seas were choppy and greater than 5 feet. It was as if someone was literally picking up the entire boat and dropping it bow first in the ocean every 5 seconds, wave of water hitting the front half of the boat. Nightmare for us, especially at night, but, old girl handled it like a champ. We pulled in to Venice Inlet at 3am, and were very surprised to find nothing broken the next morning and the bilge dry as a bone. (We are glad we repowered and have a 3-blade prop- makes handling rough seas better.)

We were enroute to Key West, but after the new weather forecast of a front (up to gale force winds, seas 6-8 feet), let's be realistic. Wu-Wei is an old boat and shoal draft- not going to chance it. But, we know she can handle rough seas. We did learn on this trip that our auto-pilot works like a champ and T-Mobile coverage works 13 miles offshore (we had to check the radar on our Blackberrys- I would have never guessed it'd work that far out...)

As for Key West, we're going this week instead- by truck, and with the new kayak!

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
u.s yacht 25 here, so far i have only sailed her in biscane bay but she is moving to Texas in June i hope. after a bottom clean and paint in may. I may not get far offshore, But y'all with the million dollar boats, we still love to sail, and we love our boats! Ya wanna bash, kiss my butt. I'll be sailing when your cleaning up the puke from your last drunken party on your Yacht!

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Alanjp,

Feel free to visit our website and post picts of your US 25' at: http://www.diysailor.com. We love hearing from other US Yacht owners and seeing their project picts!

No one is bashing US Yachts- people are bashing Buccs. Yeah, owned by the same peeps for a time, but you will rarely see a negative post on the sleek US Yacht.

Bucc owners DO love their boats, and do great things to improve them. Bucc owners are great people, and make their boats very seaworthy. The concept is there for a good boat, but Bayliner went cheap. These very enterprising owners have done outstanding things to their boats to make them tanks. Not all Buccs were built the same, either. Some were actually built quite well. :)

BTW, Freesail99, Good for you! You have a good Bucc! :) And are a realist in your sailing capability! The 305 has a different layout than the US 30'- I do like it. You are also more than welcome to visit our website and post picts!

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
WuWei, I looked at the pics of your boat and must say you have it looking cozy. to stray off topic for a sec, how well does that little fridge freezer work?
Thank you very much! We've really had fun working on her. Eventually, we are going to replace cabinets and put in Corian countertops.

We have an Engel. I think it is 45 quart- the medium-sized one- same one Bob Bitchin has. It kicks ass! Realitively inexpensive, and not an energy hog on the two house batteries. Two 20W solar panels keep the batteries topped off at sea. The best part- it runs on shore power and automatically switches to 12V when shore power is turned off. We had been toying with the fridge option for a while, and when you have a small boat, space is valuable. So, since the quarter berth isn't used for much, other than storage, we measured and bought the max size that would fit. She freezes really well, which is nice for a long voyage where you need to make ice. :)

· Read Only
87,689 Posts
Reaction score
Thanks WuWei for some cool info ... Never get tired of learning about different boat brands....Good to see pics of your boat as well....

To everyone....I'm glad to learn about US Yachts, and Buccs.... it's been an enlightening discussion for me. I see these boats around a bit...

craig
Thank you for the kind words! I, too, am always glad to learn about other boat brands. I had my heart set on a Hanse at one time- until Carlos and Maria bought one and it became their nightmare. I for one, do suffer terrible Island Packet envy, though, especially the 44'er!

1 - 13 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.