SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bayliner Sailboats.

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  miatapaul 
#1 ·
Hi all. I live in Seattle. I just acquired a 25 ft sailboat. I was told it was a 1981 US Yachts US 25
However the title says it's a 1980 bayliner. How do I know if I have a buccanear or a us yachts. And dose it really matter?
Thanks Dale.

#3 · (Edited)
1981 were US Yachts, but parent company was Bayliner.
I was with Dad the day he bought is brand new US 27, circa 1981. Off the lot with inboard volvo, wheel steering, 110 genoa, blade main... and 6 inch foam cushions. It was a pretty boat.

Brother many years later owned a 1981 US Yacht 25 footer.

Both nice sailing boats, but NOT light air boats.

#4 ·
This gives a bit of the history of the Bayliner attempt to enter the sailboat market:
Sailboats built by Bayliner (Buccaneer/US Yachts) by year on Sailboatdata.com

Founded by J. Orin Edson who had been a dealer for small powerboats and motors since 1955. At some point he purchased the Bayliner name and began building sailing craft around 1970. It is said that Bayliner, which historically, had been a manufacturer of power boats, got in to the sailboat business in response the fuel crisis of the early 1970's. Of course, the higher fuel prices didn't make them less expensive to build.
Whatever the reasoning, they were called Buccaneers and they built a lot of them before they sold off the entire devision in 1979? and went back to building powerboats only.
Many models were based on 'splashed' copies of boats from other builders (most notably the COLUMBIA 23T and COLUMBIA 26T) with changes that emphasized interior amenities with sailing performance as a secondary consideration. And yet some might say, they have their own unique aesthetic. These boats ranged from the 17' BUCCANEER 180 up to 27'. Others included the Doug Peterson designed BUCCANEER 335 at 33'. These were also built from tooling purchased from other companies.
Many of the same models (with minor differences were built by US Yachts which was a division owned by Bayliner. US Yachts, (not the same company that was associated with Grampian Yachts) also built some larger boats (the largest was the US 42) that did not appear in the Bayliner line.
rb 2009
So yes, Bayliner owned US Yachts. The Mull designed boats actually have a reputation for sailing ability. So you are correct it really does not matter. Bayliner (especially Buccaneer) does not have the best reputation for build quality but any issues should have been addressed by now. They offered the boat both in Buccaneer and US Yachts forms, seemed to have different layouts though. So you might get some idea by looking at the interior layout below. I don't think there is any other difference between the boats.

BUCCANEER 250 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
US 25 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.