SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably of no use to anyone unless they’re heading for NZ. I suppose it’s really just a rant from me.

In the process of buying a swing mooring that I’d been renting for a while, things got a little tetchy and the sale appeared to be in doubt so I made provision to move my boat into Bayswater Marina in Auckland where I had berthed boats many times over the years.

I made a reservation on a Friday and within a few minutes of providing my info, the marina had extracted the full rent for three weeks from my bank account including a deposit for two parking access cards, a total of $550.

Over the ensuing weekend I resolved my differences with the seller of the swing mooring and the sale was cemented beyond dispute. On the Monday, I advised the marina that I would not be taking up the berth. Within the aforementioned few minutes, I got an email outlining their conditions of cancellation.

To make it a short story, they would not cancel the booking and unless they could “find another renter” for the berth I had reserved, they would not refund me any of the rent. It is not hard to understand that they would fill every other berth in the marina before they rented “mine” to another boater. And that’s how it turned out.

So I contributed $500 to their bank account and got essentially nothing in return. I even had to fight with them to get 80% of the deposit I paid on parking cards that I never even collected. At this time, I still have not received that refund. So whilst it is fair to say that I have no legal recourse, this is not just my little rant but also a heads-up for anyone heading for Auckland to be really careful if planning to book into Bayswater Marina. They will grab whatever money you present to them and no morality will enter into the transaction.

·
3,506 Posts
Any chance of getting the 3 weeks mooring for a future date? Or is it going to be used up, sitting empty?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
As some of us say out here, BUMMER . Although what you are going through doesn't sound to different from some of the stuff I deal with from my marina .

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance of getting the 3 weeks mooring for a future date? Or is it going to be used up, sitting empty?
No, the booking is the booking - it sat empty for 3 weeks - it's all over already.

Just for the record, the same owners of this marina recently bought another marina in Auckland - Westpark Marina - for $8.5 million.

I guess it's not hard to see where my money went.

So the same mercenary attitude will more than likely prevail in that marina too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts