SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Magma BBQ that I have been using a small 10 Lbs. refillable cylinder with and a 5 ft. high pressure hose connected to the regulator attached to the BBQ.

the regulator has all but stopped working now and in reading the manual ( I know ...... I actually did pull out the manual ) this set-up is against ABYC guidlines and will lead to the failure of the regulator.

Magma's grills are designed for use with small disposable propane canisters or with preregulated
low-pressure propane and optional low-pressure valves. Running high-pressure
propane fuel supply lines on a boat is in violation of American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC)
guidelines and is not considered a safe application. Additionally, impurities found in larger
refillable propane tanks may clog the small orifices in the high-pressure control valve/
regulator causing it to lose performance capabilities and eventually fail.

Anyone else tried this setup or are you using the expensive, disposable, environment unfriendly cannisters. Which are also a pain to store onboard and dispose of when empty.

Other option would be to tee off the exsitng on-board propane system at $100 worth of parts and then I would have to leave the propane locker lid open while BBQ'ing ( which is most nights ) and would be in the way in the cockpit.

·
19,484 Posts
We've always run a line directly from either 5 or 11lb refillable tanks to the BBQ reg... Haven't had any issues with it so far, but did not realize it contravenes the ABYC guidelines.... (but they aaare more like guidelines, are they not?;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not so worried about the regs as the hose is always in an external location, leaks if occured, would not be a problem. My issue is the regulator which is now not working, which could be from using the refillable tanks.

How long have your regulators lasted. This one is only 3 years.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have never tried setting up my BBQ with a refillable tank setup, preferring up until now to use the small disposable tanks. I may in the future strive to do this depending on what the feed back is on doing this. In the meantime, I have used a simple, elegant and safe solution for storing additional tanks. Quite a few years ago I fabrictaed a cannister storage unit from a short length of PVC pipe , whose diameter is the same as that of the short ,fat cylindes(i forget the actual measurement). I made it long enough to hold threen cannisters and used a press on and cap for the top and a coupling and screw -on end cap for the bottom.(all of PVC) I made a bracket from a length of starboard, about 1' x 1"x 1/2" with two channels cut into it at either end, which I then screwed this the the length of the PVC tube and ran SS hose clamps through which I used to mountg this to the stern rail. A drain hole was drilled in the bottom cap. To use just pull off the top and drop in the cannisters and recap to store them. When one is needed just unscrew bottom and casnnister drops out. I recently saw almost the exact same thing being made and sold online for about $80.00 They have dispensed with the bottom cap and just ran a pin with a security chain through the bottom to hold the tanks in it looks like. I have since made several more of these for friends and customers and they work well, are cheap to make, especially if you already have a piece of appropriate size PVC kicking around! I also see that newer cannisters are coming with a special cap that opens the cannister valves and vents them prior to throwing them out to make recyclying them safer., Rick

·
19,484 Posts
We've had regs that lasted literally years, others that failed in a season. Always on refillable tanks.They are not a particularly high tech item as regulators go, so I'm sure the user is the ultimate tester.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We've had regs that lasted literally years, others that failed in a season. Always on refillable tanks.They are not a particularly high tech item as regulators go, so I'm sure the user is the ultimate tester.
So, I'm not the only one with the regulator failing. Maybe I'll just keep buying regulators as they fail.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My boat came with a propane tank (5 lb with regulator) to feed the stove / oven. I bought a Force 10 (stow and go) BBQ and tried to tee off the main tank, after the regulator. This resulted in the BBQ being double regulated, and having very low flame. After speaking with others, I tried adjusting the BBQ regulator, to allow more flame. This improved somewhat, but then allow propane to pass, even when "off", In the end, I bought a tee to go before the existing regulator, so I could feed the BBQ (and it's connected regulator) to the high pressure side. It has worked well since!

I don't know how the regulations can say to not use high pressure, when that's what the BBQ requires.

I do keep and eye on the pressure gauge, which tells me if there are any leaks. It looses very little pressure, after the bottle has been turned off, for hours / days.

·
S/V Loon
61 Posts
Scott, I've been doing the same as you - high pressure hose from a second refillable tank to the BBQ. I figure the second tank is my backup if my primary tank goes empty for the main propane stove.

Problem is that I have not yet lead the gas line out of the propane locker through a nice fitting, so I have to open the top of the propane locker when I use the BBQ, and the hose is sort of in the way, since the propane locker is about where I want to stand when I grill.

I happened to have an empty tank when I started my cruise this year, so I just grabbed a little canister of propane and used the BBQ the way it was designed, and I suddenly realized that I had engineered a way more complex solution than I needed. Those little canisters are widely available, and I ought to just remove the second propane tank and use the extra room for my BBQ tools.

When I chartered, the charter figured about 1 week per canister, so carrying two or three seems reasonable for a two week cruise.

·
Banned
12,356 Posts
I went the other route and have T ed off after the regulator with one line going to the cabin and the second to the low pressure regulator/ control which fits easily and quickly into the magma orifice. The two propane tank compartments on on either side and serve when closed as seats aft of the wheel. It is a small consolation to have to leave the locker open when using the grill.

For me it is a safety feature. I already have a #10 tank on board,,,why have a bunch of those little bombs added to it. No need to screw the low pressure fitting into the orife of the grill its a 5 second job as opposed to the balancing act of screwing the canister in. Also I was not fond of the fitting the small bomb had and after their first use the threads would rust rather quickly. So we went the low pressure way.

Dave

·
Registered
167 Posts
Can we see a pic of the bomb holder?

Rick; Would love to see a picture. I can't figure out what "starboard" is and how it is actually mounted. A Pic is worth a thousand words.
thanks

"Quite a few years ago I fabrictaed a cannister storage unit from a short length of PVC pipe , whose diameter is the same as that of the short ,fat cylindes(i forget the actual measurement). I made it long enough to hold threen cannisters and used a press on and cap for the top and a coupling and screw -on end cap for the bottom.(all of PVC) I made a bracket from a length of starboard, about 1' x 1"x 1/2" with two channels cut into it at either end, which I then screwed this the the length of the PVC tube and ran SS hose clamps through which I used to mountg this to the stern rail. A drain hole was drilled in the bottom cap."

·
Re-Member
228 Posts
We also have a 10-lb refillable we use to 'power' the BBQ. It is a second tank so that we never run out of propane as we cook 90% of our dinners on the boat. One of her many redeeming qualities, the Admiral is a gourmet cook.

We've had the boat seven years. I had to replace the regulator once. I called Magma, they talked about the impurities causing issues with the regulator, and I opted to just buy another one (if memory serves me right, it was like $25). If I have to do that every five years or so, not a big deal. If it happens more often, I'll figure something else out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
bomb holder

Rick; Would love to see a picture. I can't figure out what "starboard" is and how it is actually mounted. A Pic is worth a thousand words.
thanks

"Quite a few years ago I fabrictaed a cannister storage unit from a short length of PVC pipe , whose diameter is the same as that of the short ,fat cylindes(i forget the actual measurement). I made it long enough to hold threen cannisters and used a press on and cap for the top and a coupling and screw -on end cap for the bottom.(all of PVC) I made a bracket from a length of starboard, about 1' x 1"x 1/2" with two channels cut into it at either end, which I then screwed this the the length of the PVC tube and ran SS hose clamps through which I used to mountg this to the stern rail. A drain hole was drilled in the bottom cap."
I will try and get a picture of it and post it...Rick

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Funny thing, tried the regulator on the small canister this weekend and it worked. I'll have to try the second tank on the stove and the high pressure hose on the other tank to see which might be the problem.

I typically lift the 10 lber out of the locker and put it on the walk thru transom while BBQ'ing. I like having the spare tank on board for when I run one out on the stove.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I have tried useing a nice little 5lb refillable cylinder I have instead of the throw aways as well. I have a hose with a male thread the same as the throw aways that fits the magma. The magma won't work properly. Do I need an additional regulator. It sure would be nice to use the 5lb one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.