SailNet Community banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
That is why the reputable hooka manufacturers only sell 30' hoses with their rigs.
This just isn't true at all, unless you personally define "reputable hooka manufacturers" as only being those that conform to your belief in what length hoses they sell.

Your argument reminds me of the ones against integrating autopilots with other instrumentation because they could be used incorrectly that way.

I don't know anyone using hookas to do deep recreational diving in lieu of tanks, but I know many, many people using them regularly in <30'. Most in <10' for work on their boats. If it is an electrical-powered hooka, it is definitely only being used within a few feet of the main boat.

Perspective.

Mark

·
Master Mariner
8,221 Posts
If it is an electrical-powered hooka, it is definitely only being used within a few feet of the main boat.Mark
Our Sea Breathe unit can go as far from the main boat as the gas tank of the Zodiac will carry it. I guess you aren't familiar with the concept of alligator clips and a battery.
As for reputable, I mean those that are recognized in the industry as conforming to a certain standard. That standard includes standard hoses of around 30', not 50' or 75'. As I said, there is a very, very good reason why the hookah rigs sold by reputable companies are generally sold with hoses that do not exceed 30'.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Our Sea Breathe unit can go as far from the main boat as the gas tank of the Zodiac will carry it. I guess you aren't familiar with the concept of alligator clips and a battery.
As for reputable, I mean those that are recognized in the industry as conforming to a certain standard. That standard includes standard hoses of around 30', not 50' or 75'. As I said, there is a very, very good reason why the hookah rigs sold by reputable companies are generally sold with hoses that do not exceed 30'.
Please list one 'reputable' hooka supplier/mgr that does not offer hoses longer that 30'.

Youre going down/insisting a path that will not back you up.

Why.....

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
That is what I thought - you are confusing diving depth with hose length. First, Sea Breathe actually offer a 60' hose option on their units, so your argument is dead there. Second, it appears you do not consider Brownie, Air Line, HookaMax, and other well-established brands as "reputable" just because they offer (or come standard) with hoses longer than 30'.

Again, 30' might be a recommended depth, but it is in no way a limit for usable length, nor are longer lengths a danger to anyone.

A small battery will provide 1-1.5hrs on these hookas. Perhaps this is enough for a remote dive for some who can't snorkel shallow water and do not want to dive deeper water, but most electric ones are being used for boat work and stuff closer to the mother ship.

Mark

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm with RegU on this one. I think the HookahMax is a good compromise for cleaning the bottom and clearing any wraps that you might have on the prop. I tried the pole method that was mentioned earlier to clean the bottom but when I took the boat out into some really clear water and dove on it, I could see what a poor job I was doing with just a brush on a stick. My sailing mentor was an old school dive instructor and only used cylinders for surface air as opposed to a compressor or hookah system. I think the hookah is fine for shallow diving but personally I would not dive more than 10' deep with one. I also think it might be a good idea to get certified for scuba even though it's not required for hookah. There are some little tidbits that you will be taught in the class that may save your life. Like not holding your breath while breathing compressed air! I know there were a couple of hookah related fatalities last lobster season in the Keys, probably in not more than 15-20' feet of water. Not sure what the details were but it definitely shows that while hookah is relatively safe there are definitely things that can go wrong.

·
Master Mariner
8,221 Posts
Sea Breathe actually offer a 60' hose option on their units, so your argument is dead there.

A small battery will provide 1-1.5hrs on these hookas. Perhaps this is enough for a remote dive for some who can't snorkel shallow water and do not want to dive deeper water, but most electric ones are being used for boat work and stuff closer to the mother ship.

Mark
Oh for crying out loud. Several times I specifically said "come standard with" 30' foot hoses. and the horizontal versus vertical thing was also addressed, but if you want to continue to beat a dead horse, then have at it.
Our unit uses 12 to 15 amps, which is slightly more than 1.5 hours on a 125 cca battery, but honestly, who is going to spend more than a couple of hours in the water snorkeling or cleaning a boat bottom at a time? Most of us get tired and/or cold (even in the tropics) after a while, even with a wetsuit. Few contributors on this forum are spring chickens, and even my wife, who is considerably younger than most on here, gets cold after a couple of hours in the water.
But, if memory serves, you are a tank diver and don't even have a hookah rig, so what's your point? Have you even used one?

·
dadio917
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey...I appreciate all the responses. Gives me some things to look at. I should have added...I am a certified diver although have not done it for a few years. Having 37' hull don't need tons of hose. Money is less an issue than size for storing..(39' boat again). Power secondary and can run inverter or DC. Probably quality and size of unit prioritizes above all else. btw, that Huka site sure seems heavy on marketing versus specs.

·
3,506 Posts
I have a 30 foot hose with a primary and 2nd stage regulator attached. Quick and easy way to clean the bottom with existing gear/ tanks...

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
But, if memory serves, you are a tank diver and don't even have a hookah rig, so what's your point? Have you even used one?
I free dive - no tank nor hooka. I do keep a single tank on board for more demanding/emergency underwater boat work. Yes I have used hookas (although I fail to see why this matters to the discussion).

My point was that there are many reputable hooka manufacturers who offer hose lengths longer than 30', and that >30' lengths are not intrinsically unsafe or reckless. That was addressing your claims to the opposite. Having a 40'x21' boat, a 30' hose would be cumbersome, or unusable, for us. Many people have longer and wider boats than ours.

Mark

·
3,506 Posts
So people seem to feel the hookah systems good for bottom cleaning?

Always “interesting” how a forum thing can turn into a silly must win battle :)
Enough compressed gas here to clean the QE2..

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
OP is a certified scuba diver but hasn't dived in a long while?

I was going to suggest just renting a tank and scuba gear, and forget the hookah stuff. That way you have a Buoyancy Compensator, ditchable weights in case of emergency, a compass just in case. You can be neutrally buoyant at whichever depth you're working.

I'm ignorant of hookahs, so maybe I'm missing something that's great about them. But I've cleaned a boat bottom in scuba gear, it worked out fine. And if perchance you drop something you need to retrieve, you can drop down and look for it.

And getting back into diving has advantages too, you're a mobile underwater creature, without a tether, and can enjoy the underwater world away from the marina silt and ablative paint clouds.

If OP has health problems which contradict diving, then I take back all I just said.

·
Master Mariner
8,221 Posts
I was going to suggest just renting a tank and scuba gear, and forget the hookah stuff. .
I've carried tanks and even compressors on sailboats and IMO they are more trouble than they are worth, especially for bottom cleaning. Tanks are hard to store, ding varnish and chip glass and need to be inspected periodically and certified, while compressors require quite a bit of maintenance and attention. If you don't have a compressor, then finding clean air can be a problem far from civilization. Renting tanks and transporting them back to the boat is just plain a PITA in many places (it's not like we have a car and taxis can be expensive). If you misplace your certification card, have fun trying to get your tanks filled!
Our electric hookah rig comes in a plastic box about the size of a 6 piece toaster. Obviously, the hoses take up a bit of space but take up no more space than a BC w/ regulator. We can achieve neutral buoyancy just fine with a couple of weights, which are considerably cheaper than a BC.
On a sunny day, we make more power than the hookah rig consumes, so it is basically free to operate, but even on a cloudy day, the 15 or so amps it consumes is not a problem to a 500+ amp battery bank. Mostly, we clean the bottom in around 15' of water on a sand bottom, so dropping things isn't much of a problem, and more often than not we have a fishy posse to encourage the removal of the growth on the bottom.
Like the OP, I no longer consider SCUBA diving to be something I am physically fit to do, so the hookah rig is the perfect compromise all the way around. I've done my time below 3 atmospheres, had a ball and now it is time to put my PADI divemaster's certification to rest.

Reactions: overthehorizon

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I agree that if one isn't going to free-dive the boat for bottom cleaning, then a hookah is better than a tank. Get a long hose - it will make the job so much easier and less frustrating.

If one does use a tank, I don't see any need for a BC, compass, etc for bottom cleaning (if you need a compass, then you can afford to pay someone else to clean your bottom).

If one already has the tanks and compressor, then tanks are better than adding a hookah to the mix.

Renting a tank doesn't make much sense to me because one isn't sure when the bottom needs cleaning, and may not be in an area that rents tanks when the bottom does need cleaning. Depending on tank rental prices, one might be 50% into just hiring a guy to clean the bottom.

Mark

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hey,

Here is the rig I bought:
https://hookamax.com/products?olsPage=t/12v-dc-battery-hookah-diving-systems

Hookamax E2005C-12V 1X100
$999.95$899.95

No relationship, just a satisfied owner, etc.

I split it with a friend. So, for under $500 I can clean the bottom whenever I want. Last year I paid a diver $100 / cleaning and I had the bottom done 4 times. So this thing will pay for itself is about 1 year.

Barry

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
I have been considering one of these for some time now, and would like your recommendations as to which single diver system YOU would buy and why;
Hookamax A2016C-12V 1X50 - Aluminum tank & 50 foot hose - $1100
SeaBreathe 130-DA - Anodized unit in an aluminum case w/ 30 foot hose - $1500
Brownie Sea Lion 2 diver X package (b/c they don't offer a single diver package) - $5500
Air Line 12V-E160 - 60 foot hose - $1500

21 - 40 of 53 Posts