SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should be in cruising or somewhere else, but here it goes.

I'm helping a friend deliver his Beneteau 43 from Beaufort to West Palm next week. The plan is to go outside. Two things:

1. I'm flying into Savannah. Anyone know of the best way to get from Savannah to Beaufort?

2. Anyone make this trip around this time of year before, and can you offer any tips generally about it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Dan,
A taxi ride from the Savannah Airport to Beaufort is going to cost about $100. I'd give you a lift if I didn't have to work...

I haven't made the trip myself, but a friend of mine has many times. It's about 3.5 days if you don't stop. Wait for an ebb tide before heading down the BEaufort River, as you have about 9nm or so and it current is wicked. Don't cut the corner when heading out Port Royal Sound. You'll have depth issues if you do; the charts often indicate deeper-than-acutal depths. There's a South Channel marked on the charts. Take that. You'll probably have sloppy seas, as the water will often be but 40' or 50' fifteen miles from shore. It's been warm this winter. Today it's 72F, winds out of the SSW at 15-20 kts. A cool front is expected to arrive on Thursday, which will likely bring winds out of the N and NW.

It'll be a beautiful trip... Good luck, and enjoy!

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
For comparison, Beaufort to St Augustine is an overnight trip for me. As is St Augustine to Fort Pierce. Then a daysail to Lake Worth Inlet. If you went straight through, you could probably make Lake Worth the end of the second day (with decent conditions). Once I get past Georgia, I stay within about 4 -6 miles of shore. Plenty of places to duck in if the weather turns.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For comparison, Beaufort to St Augustine is an overnight trip for me. As is St Augustine to Fort Pierce. Then a daysail to Lake Worth Inlet. If you went straight through, you could probably make Lake Worth the end of the second day (with decent conditions). Once I get past Georgia, I stay within about 4 -6 miles of shore. Plenty of places to duck in if the weather turns.
Hey, thanks for that. How fast are you travelling?

And Hog, thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Was making an average of 5 - 5.5 knots by the GPS (SOG).

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,903 Posts
From what I understand (and what we've experienced), this Winter has had an unusual number of cold fronts coming through on a frequent basis. We got nailed by one last week that gave us 30+kt (37kt peak sustained gusts) winds and 8'+ waves (with some 12 footers thrown in for good measure). It was not forecasted to be what it was, and that's the problem with cold fronts - they move in quick, cause large weather and are somewhat unpredictable in their strength. The wind has also been from pretty much every direction. Just make sure you know your duck in points and keep a constant ear to the weather. That said, as long as you are careful, there's no reason not to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts