SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We have Beckson ports on our Endeavour 33. I have a few leakiing. I bought some port gaskets. I have the instructions for replacing them. My problem is that the gaskets appear somewhat round compared to what is now in place - I am wondering if they "flatten" after installation- I hestitated in forging ahead wondering if I bought the wrong part......

Of course ther installation instructions have no pictures.

Thanks, Saltypat

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Yes, they flatten after getting squished by the port closing. :)

·
phallo 1, Gustav 0
141 Posts
Hi,
We have Beckson ports on our Endeavour 33. I have a few leakiing. I bought some port gaskets. I have the instructions for replacing them. My problem is that the gaskets appear somewhat round compared to what is now in place - I am wondering if they "flatten" after installation- I hestitated in forging ahead wondering if I bought the wrong part......

Of course ther installation instructions have no pictures.

Thanks, Saltypat
I have an '88 Pearson and yes, those gaskets are round when they are new - they flatten out over the years. I thought the same thing when I started to replace mine.

Be careful when closing them with the new gaskets, though. The lens can be difficult to secure with the new gasket, and if you screw the dogs down too tight, you can crack the mount for the dog assembly - especially if the ports are pretty old. They're molded into the port so the only option is to replace the whole thing.

If you haven't installed them yet, a few tips:
  • Put the gaskets in the sun for a bit, or warm them up somehow.
  • Make sure the channel that they go into is clean.
  • Stretch them a bit, like you would a balloon before you blow it up, but be careful you don't stretch the seam.
  • Use the butt of a screw driver or something to help press them into place, or you'll soon have some very sore thumbs! You can almost feel them snap in.
  • As you're putting them in, stretch as you go - don't wait until the last bit of gasket before you start to stretch it. Make it a lot easier to install that last 25% or so if there's already enough 'slack' in the gasket.
  • Keep a notepad a pencil handy to jot down all the new variations of cuss words you'll come up with. These can be a real pain to put in!

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Don't forget to back off on the dogs, since the new gaskets will not require the compression the old ones did... :) This will prevent the cracking that Phallo mentions.

·
Super Moderator
6,757 Posts
Also..

Yes, they will flatten out. Also don't forget to clean out the groove where the gasket is pushed into.

As others have said DO NOT over tighten with new gaskets. These ports get brittle with age!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts