SailNet Community banner

401 - 420 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
I'm getting ready to pot and rebed my life lines and other miscellaneous hardware using Maine Sail's method (and his butyl tape). Does anyone have any experience with System Three's SilverTip GelMagic epoxy. I was wondering if this will work the same/as well as the outlined West Systems 105, 205, and 406 in your article?

SilverTip GelMagic - System Three Resins, Inc.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
It will work the same as thickened West epoxy. But for potting holes you want liquid epoxy first, followed by the thickened epoxy. West or other epoxy that is liquid when mixed, then thickened later would be a better choice.

The GelMagic epoxy seems to be System Three's answer to West Six/Ten cartridge epoxy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great feedback, thanks. Despite reading Maine Sail's how-to several times, I wouldn't have realized my mistake until I was in the middle of the process. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great tutorial! Just ordered some,need to start rebedding deck hardware. Could this be used for resealing acrylic to hatch frame? I know there is no clamping force holding it in,but the pictures on pbase of the knife make it look very sticky and pliable. Not sure what the sealant is in the hatch frame now,but it is soft and pliable,and I suspect original to my 1982 boat.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I might add that on a hot summer day butyl tape can be brutal to work with because it stretches so easy.
That's true of the cheap stuff from the RV store. But not true of the material that Maine Sail sells. Spend the money to do it right the first time. You won't regret it.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
Great tutorial! Just ordered some,need to start rebedding deck hardware. Could this be used for resealing acrylic to hatch frame? I know there is no clamping force holding it in,but the pictures on pbase of the knife make it look very sticky and pliable. Not sure what the sealant is in the hatch frame now,but it is soft and pliable,and I suspect original to my 1982 boat.
That's what was used on my hatches. The thing I don't understand is why they used Black on all the hatches and white or off white on the hull deck joint. Cleaning all the excess off as I go but why Black on deck??

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
That's what was used on my hatches. The thing I don't understand is why they used Black on all the hatches and white or off white on the hull deck joint. Cleaning all the excess off as I go but why Black on deck??
Are you sure they didn't use a curing adhesive/sealant, like Sikaflex 295? That's very common for around hatches, etc. It's totally different stuff from the butyl tape.

Carbon black pigment has well known properties as a free radical scavenger, which when formulated into sealants, rubber leg ends, wire ties, and other products can make them much more UV resistant. That's why you often see black sealants used in high sun areas. The white stuff works fine in more shadowed areas like hull deck joints.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
Are you sure they didn't use a curing adhesive/sealant, like Sikaflex 295? That's very common for around hatches, etc. It's totally different stuff from the butyl tape.

Carbon black pigment has well known properties as a free radical inhibitor, which when formulated into sealants, rubber leg ends, wire ties, and other products can make them much more UV resistant. That's why you often see black sealants used in high sun areas. The white stuff works fine in more shadowed areas like hull deck joints.
Its soft like Butyl that's why I think its that. AFIK all other sealants have a cure, this peels right off with a putty knife and cleans up with acetone. Curious I admit.
Yes I don't even but the white ties for that reason.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Could this be used for resealing acrylic to hatch frame? I know there is no clamping force holding it in,but the pictures on pbase of the knife make it look very sticky and pliable. Not sure what the sealant is in the hatch frame now,but it is soft and pliable,and I suspect original to my 1982 boat.
Butyl is not the best choice for sealing acrylic in a hatch frame.

The best choices are Dow 795, GE SG 4000, or Sika 295. The Sika requires a primer.

Which Sealants To Use | Selectplastics

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
I don't recommend it for lens to frame unless it was an emergency fix to "get you home".. The proper sealant for hatch lens to frame would be a product such as Dow 795 of Sika 295UV with the special primer.

Frame to deck is fine but lens to frame I don't advise...

·
S/V Dreamer - Marieholm26
52 Posts
Hello !!
One more question for help about butyl... Tighten the bolts at once or in several times ....who can remove this doubt ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Hello !!
One more question for help about butyl... Tighten the bolts at once or in several times ....who can remove this doubt ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Several small tightenings until the butyl stops oozing out. Try not to twist the bolt just the nut.

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #414

·
Sailbad The Sinner
20 Posts
Mainesail, I recieved my order of three rolls last week and I am about to tackle some rebidding. I have read your tutorial twice and have a question. On my pearson 303 the halyard turning blocks, deck organizers and cabin top winches are all mounted on blocks of teak. I have removed all and i am replacing with new hardware. Im pretty sure the used "The Devils glue" to mount the wood since i cannot make it budge even with great force. Off coarse every bock was siliconed. I have scraped and sanded all the wood. Can i use the method countersink/butyl on the wood blocks as well? Thank you ahead of time for any help. Michael, Charlotte NC

·
Super Moderator
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
Mainesail, I recieved my order of three rolls last week and I am about to tackle some rebidding. I have read your tutorial twice and have a question. On my pearson 303 the halyard turning blocks, deck organizers and cabin top winches are all mounted on blocks of teak. I have removed all and i am replacing with new bhardware. Im pretty sure the used "The Devils glue" to mount the wood since i cannot make it budge even with great force. Off coarse every bock was siliconed. I have scraped and sanded all the wood. Can i use the method countersink/butyl on the wood blocks as well? Thank you ahead of time for any help. Michael, Charlotte NC
Yes. You will bed the boat side of the block as well as the hardware side..

·
Sailbad The Sinner
20 Posts
Maine Sail, Thank you. The blocks are permanently "glued" to the deck but im going to mount the hardware according to you instructions. Thanks for the reply and thank you for the well prepared instructions and photos. I feel much better prepared for this job now. We will be splashing on the 13th of april and starting our summer of multiple small trips cruising north for an eventual destination of Rockland maine. Hope to see you on the water as we pass! Michael

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
I added a roll to an order for other stuff from Hamilton Marine. I look forward to "having fun" with it. I hope Maine gets a fair amount of money from the sales through Hamilton.

·
Sailbad The Sinner
20 Posts
Wanted to update. Just finished moving my boat from Yorktown VA to Portsmouth NH in two trips. First trip all storms and 2 gales. Nothing i mounted with butyl leaked a single drop. My ports and hatches on the other hand leak pretty good. Thanks again Maine Sail! Michael

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
One more plug for this product, I have a roll of tape from another source I bought before reading this thread. After less than two years its drying up just a bit toward the edges and wont come off the roll, sticks to the backing and just a PITA. I will renew and buy the right stuff. In that amount of time I have used probably 2/3 of a roll just in routine busy work. Always stored out of the sun inside if that matters.

401 - 420 of 446 Posts