SailNet Community banner

421 - 440 of 446 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rather than using butyl tape only, what about Fel-Pro automotive water pump gasket material for the full dimensions of the deck plate? The gasket cannot be squeezed out when torqued. I'm coming from an gas engine rebuilding background and (disclaimer) not marine.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
The idea is to squeeze it out, its not like two perfectly flat hard surfaces and the Butyl fills as it squeezes. FG will actually flex a bit and stress where the fasteners are if you use a gasket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all. I am new to your site. Thanks for the great article. I used butyl tape to seal an LP thru-bulkhead quick-disconnect fitting and it worked great. My question is this:
It seems that you intimate that turning the bolt/machine screw thru the butyl tape (and the 'collar' just under the head) will ruin the seal, so it is to only be used with bolts or machine screws (where you can tighten the nut from the underside without turning the bolt)...yet in the comment section, people seem to be using the tape for screwed-in hardware applications as well. I need to spin all my hatches 180 degrees (they are aft-facing and I'm heading to the tropics), and would love to use my new stash of butyl tape for rebedding them if I can. Can I just go ahead, or should I soften with a little mineral spirits (installing in south FL in aug i.e. 90 degrees)? Thanks!

-Craig Pollak
s/v Rambunctious
52 Stellar

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you are in 90 degree weather the butyl would probably be the texture of soft modeling clay. Use mineral spirits only to clean up afterwards. You put enough butyl under the hatches, which isn't really that much, and everything will self seal no matter what you do with the screws or bolts. I normally use butyl in a calking gun tube but in 90 degree weather, it becomes like working with liquid cobb webs as it becomes very sticky and pulls into a long string, like soft chewing gum. Best to wear the blue nitrile gloves for easy clean up. Butyl in a calking gun tube is normally used for joining sections of aluminum gutters on the eaves of houses. It has to withstand the terrible temperatures of summer which heats the aluminum and freeing temperatures in winter. But it has to be a good U.S. made butyl as foreign made butyl in a tube is total junk and should never be used except for landfill. Installed properly, tube butyl has worked well on my boat for years, but I also use the tape which is a little less pliable but can be heated with a hair dryer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi Brian, Thanks for posting the "Marinehowto" link. I do recall seeing that link long ago. The butyl in a caulking gun tube has to be pliable enough to get out of the tube. If you crammed butyl tape into a caulking gun, it would have to be heated quite a bit to be able to pump it out. It is nice to have a choice of textures of butyl to use. I certainly use the tape, especially now that it can be had in the white color from marine stores. Maybe others would disagree, but I find using the tube butyl around chain plates is the best. I can pump it into the voids around the plates and build up a little mound at deck level. The tape is too stiff to do this with on my 40' boat. Whether using the tape or tube, the stuff keeps on working unlike 3M products I used to use. The 3M 4200 and all the other numbers would last a few years then have to be ripped out and redone. Even if it said "UV resistant", that was just hype.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Hi Brian, Thanks for posting the "Marinehowto" link. I do recall seeing that link long ago. The butyl in a caulking gun tube has to be pliable enough to get out of the tube. If you crammed butyl tape into a caulking gun, it would have to be heated quite a bit to be able to pump it out. It is nice to have a choice of textures of butyl to use. I certainly use the tape, especially now that it can be had in the white color from marine stores. Maybe others would disagree, but I find using the tube butyl around chain plates is the best. I can pump it into the voids around the plates and build up a little mound at deck level. The tape is too stiff to do this with on my 40' boat. Whether using the tape or tube, the stuff keeps on working unlike 3M products I used to use. The 3M 4200 and all the other numbers would last a few years then have to be ripped out and redone. Even if it said "UV resistant", that was just hype.
It really concerns me to see so many inaccuracies in your posts.

The topic of this thread is MaineSail’s Bed-It butyl tape, a superior product that you seem to have never used. Bed-It is not available in a caulk gun or tube. It is not available in white color.

You have a right to say that you like the tube type the best, but your opinion doesn’t mean much in this thread if you have not compared it to the Bed-It brand. Your comment that at 90 degrees it is “probably” anything is purely specuative since you’ve never used it.

I can’t make you try it. But I can call BS on comments that have no basis in actual experience. I have tried a number of different butyl products, and MaineSail has found a formulation that combines all the best properties for the marine environment (including great adhesion and elasticity over wide temperature extremes). Not all products are the same - molecular weight and additives can vary all over the map, and dramatically affect adhesion, rheological properties, and temperature resistance. MaineSail has invested hundreds of hours testing the balance of properties of different formulations. You can pay a few bucks extra to reap the benefits of his work, or you can choose not to. But don’t go making statements that have no basis in actual experience with his product.

By the way, your comments about 3M products are also inaccurate and misleading. 4200 is not marketed as UV resistant - you appear to be mixing it up with 4000UV, and I can assure you that 3M has formulated UV inhibitors into their 4000UV product - it’s not just “marketing hype”.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
He is a new fresh SN member....been some places..
A nicer welcome would be to include the cup with the coffee offered...rather than dumped on his lap.

Imho....
Good point. Mea culpa. I didn’t notice the post count. My apologies for my bluntness. I should have been more gentle. I look forward to hearing of his other experiences.

·
S/V Dreamer - Marieholm26
52 Posts
It really concerns me to see so many inaccuracies in your posts.

The topic of this thread is MaineSail’s Bed-It butyl tape, a superior product that you seem to have never used. Bed-It is not available in a caulk gun or tube. It is not available in white color.

You have a right to say that you like the tube type the best, but your opinion doesn’t mean much in this thread if you have not compared it to the Bed-It brand. Your comment that at 90 degrees it is “probably” anything is purely specuative since you’ve never used it.

I can’t make you try it. But I can call BS on comments that have no basis in actual experience. I have tried a number of different butyl products, and MaineSail has found a formulation that combines all the best properties for the marine environment (including great adhesion and elasticity over wide temperature extremes). Not all products are the same - molecular weight and additives can vary all over the map, and dramatically affect adhesion, rheological properties, and temperature resistance. MaineSail has invested hundreds of hours testing the balance of properties of different formulations. You can pay a few bucks extra to reap the benefits of his work, or you can choose not to. But don’t go making statements that have no basis in actual experience with his product.

By the way, your comments about 3M products are also inaccurate and misleading. 4200 is not marketed as UV resistant - you appear to be mixing it up with 4000UV, and I can assure you that 3M has formulated UV inhibitors into their 4000UV product - it’s not just “marketing hype”.

My experience with butyl tape from Maine is absolutely perfect..my experience regarding the series 3M 4000 with UV inhibitors is completely miserable. It last less than 3 years, I use it to caulking the conjunction deck/hull after that ...become soft cracking and degrade. I spent one day to clean the mess and put 5000 and paint over .. so ..only in this way you can call it “uv protect”!!!. For my opinion 3m Uv is really a marketing hype!!!
Regarding butyl on chain plate... My Hallberg Rassyget black soft butyl around its and last for 30 years and no leaking and is not the type same of Maine but probably was used with pistol caulking ( would ask them which product they used.. for sure I will use again if available).
I really didn’t figure out how to use the butyl from Maine ( I got 4 rolls!!) to resolve this problem in my chainplate.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Geeezz Take Five, you sure take your butyl quite seriously. At least only one type. Reread the posts and broaden your butyl horizon and your inability to remember the details of what you just read. Everything I say is well proven. But it is no big deal to me. I am not here to prove anything to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi "Take 5".... so again....my question to you is:

In your opinion, is it OK to turn screws thru the butyl tape (bed-it brand...I also bought 4 rolls and am down to 2), or should I use something else for those situations?

(I also used it on external chain plates for my Jordan Series drogue with seven 1/2" bolts each, and was quite pleased with the results).

Thank you again 😎⛵-Craig

·
Registered
155 Posts
I like that idea of using butyl in a caulking gun for around the chain plates, I remember using the tape to seal the chain plates on my c&c 30, not fun ...using a product that would flow into any voids make sense, ( and easier ) appreciate the suggestion unlike some here .....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dinosdad, thanks. Some people do make me laugh. My Valiant 40 has been a test bed for a very long time. A long line of test beds. I will be signing off for a while as in two days we leave Trincomalee, Sri Lanka, for Chagos, deep into the Indian Ocean.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Unfortunately, a power boat newbie apparently mistook F for R and took out the stern rail on my Yankee while in the slip. When I removed the rail, I was surprised to see the stanchions were not bedded in anything. Shouldn't I bed the replacement rail? What is the best source for (real) butyl tape?

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
.....Shouldn't I bed the replacement rail? What is the best source for (real) butyl tape?
Yes, you should. Maine Sail who started this thread, sells it on his website. The link is in the OP. Not only are you assured of getting the proper quality, but I think he deserves the business for having provided the free value of the instruction in this thread.

I've purchased several rolls from him. I admit, I did purchase some hardware store variety to make a temporary sticky plug that I could remove on a project. It was intentional to have something cheap and disposable. It was clearly an inferior product.

421 - 440 of 446 Posts