SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a deck stepped mast on my Bristol 27. While I have the mast down, I removed the mast deck plate. (I had noticed a small leak last season and found it was where the ant. cable passé through) I also found a poor job of bedding. I've cleaned up the area as best I can, made sure it's dry and that there is no damage. I've drilled out the holes, filled with epoxy and re-drilled. Now I'm wondering what I should use to seal things up. I have butyle tape (from Main Sail) and it's what I figured I'd use. But thought I'd ask everyone's opinion since the mast is so much heavier than other deck hardware. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I used silicone on my tabernacle. Fit the plate in place and mask around it. Remove it, butter the base with silicone and install with fasteners finger tight only. Be sure to tool around the base and remove all the excess to make a pretty joint, no,really. Pull the masking tape immediately. Once the silicone has cured some, maybe 6 hours, crank the fasteners tight. The silicone will bulge oh-so-slightly but the joint will look like a gasket. Silicone really doesn't stick that well but by doing it this way you're forming a really custom fit gasket that will seal well.

Right, wrong or ludicrous, that's how I did mine and it's been dry for 5 years now.

Don

·
Registered
267 Posts
Used Butyl tape on my plate for mine as well. I'm going to put a small bead of 4200 along the outside edge just as a backup, smoothed out by finger. It's been through a bunch of rain so far, and as of yet, no sign of intrusion.

·
Master Mariner
9,004 Posts
Bedding compound was specifically designed for bedding things on a boat. It is easy to work with and cleans up in a jiffy with turps. Should be available at any marine supplies store. Made by Dolphinite and International, plus others I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I would go with the Butyl tape from Mainesail. Best quality product I have seen. Whether the mast is weighing down heavily or you have torqued up a piece of hardware with several 5/16 bolts, the amount of actual force on the bedding is likely similar.

Loren

Reactions: Tree

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Butyl wins..... did it, so it's done. Got to admit, I forgot how easy this stuff is to work with. Anyway, sorry about the silicone advice, I've never seen that stuff work for very long. I'll let everyone know when the Butyl starts to leak (if it ever starts to leak) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts