SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on these two cover plates to cover two hole that were for electronics that are broken and not going to be replaced right away.

These two cover pieces are just held in by a single screw from the inside through a piece of aluminum strip 1/8" by 1.25". There is no glue or bedding compound. I suspect some water will get in.
What should I use to bed them.

I have the MS butyl tape but since they are on a near vertical surface I'm afraid the butyl will get washed out when hosing off the boat.
What do you think?

Attachments

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,160 Posts
I think that you are right. It will leak.

The aluminum strips with a single screw (presumably in the center) will bend eventually. I suggest that you use TWO screws, one at each edge of the holes through the cabin top. The closer that you can get the screws to the FG, the better.

·
You really are funny!!
4,781 Posts
I just bedded my portlights with butyl, there is no possible way you could hose butyl off and I don't believe it would leak if you crank it down to show a 16th of an inch or so (or less) around the perimeter (crank it down, trim with a plastic credit card corner). Use more screws as noted in the post above.

Even if it didn't work, butyl is such a snap to work with you're not really risking anything by trying it out.

·
Super Moderator
6,753 Posts
I have the MS butyl tape but since they are on a near vertical surface I'm afraid the butyl will get washed out when hosing off the boat.
What do you think?
The butyl tape will NEVER wash out unless you're using strong solvents to wash your boat on a regular basis.

If you use the butyl run it about 1/8" in from the edge then press the cover plates in by hand to compress the butyl, as tight as you can, and then finally just snug up the retaining screws so you don't rip them out of the wood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts