SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with so many people going on and on about drinking beer on a sailing forum?

I have little to no interest to learn about the beer drinking habits of sailors. I will drink cold beer at times when it's hot out. I realize people often get together at a bar.... which serves beer... to shoot the breeze. In Italy they go for a coffee and an espresso bar.

My only concern is people consuming too much alcohol and operating while impaired and harming innocent people.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
I’ve missed the threads you’re referring to SanderO.

I like interesting beer. I’m no fan of the generic lagers the still dominate the market (Coors, Heineken, Canadian, Blue, Bud, Corona, etc ad infinitum). Luckily there is no reason to suffer with these bland offerings anymore. It’s a golden age of good beer making these days.

No booze gets consumed on our boat while she is underway. And that means both on and off-watch crew. But once securely anchored or docked, the beer (and other spirits) usually come out.

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
I've always treated my crews, especially the professionals, as adults. If someone wants a drink underway, well what's the harm if they have one and don't drink until they are intoxicated? Sometimes, it's just so damn cold a shot of brandy before a watch is a help, not a hinderance.
However, should one over imbibe even once, they lose the freedom of choice for all time. I believe the laws regarding this do not prohibit all alcohol, but only limit the amount of alcohol in your blood, which most probably wouldn't attain with just one beer or shot.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
LOL In the USA I am a Bud and Corona fan :)

On the water I keep it to the Driving Laws of about .05 and guests to about .08

I do notice theres cultural differences with many Americians drinking very, very little, if at all, at sea.
Do you think its somehow linked to the old sailing ship laws? American Navy ships were always dry, whereas English ships had a daily beer ration (light beer) of about 1 gallon(!) and Rum, watered down, a couple of times per day. Only stopped in 1970.
On Australian navy ships I think its still "2 cans, per man, per day, perhaps".

US Navy
In the United States Navy, the daily ration was one-half US pint (240 ml) of distilled spirits until 1842, when it was reduced to one gill (120 ml). It was abolished in 1862.[15]

England:
The rum ration, or "tot", from 1850 to 1970 consisted of one-eighth of an imperial pint (71 ml) of rum at 95.5 proof (54.6% ABV), given out to every sailor at midday. Senior ratings (petty officers and above) received their rum neat, whilst for junior ratings it was diluted with two parts of water to make three-eighths of an imperial pint (213 ml) of grog.[1]

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OP was less about inebriation than about the "beer culture" that appears to be associated with sailors and not necessarily drinking while boating. I get it that people want a cold drink on a hot day. I don't quite understand the obsession with beer. I enjoy it but can live without it. Not so with water.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The only recent discussion about beer, that I recall seeing was on Zanshin's thread- "Motoring from Newport to Annapolis"

It wasn't the focus of the thread and I wouldn't call it going on and on about it; or being Obsessed with it. some of it was " tongue in cheek" If there was another discussion, I missed it. Maybe you can link it.

As someone who spent his career in the Food and "Beverage" industry, I'm always interested in the eating and drinking preferences of others, especially those from other countries.

·
al brazzi
2,076 Posts
Where are all these Beer posts, I haven't seen any of them. Currently when not on the Boat I like Blue Moon or ShockTop wheat with lots of Orange pulp and all. And they are not called "BeerCan" regattas for nothing:wink

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
The OP was less about inebriation than about the "beer culture" that appears to be associated with sailors and not necessarily drinking while boating. I get it that people want a cold drink on a hot day. I don't quite understand the obsession with beer. I enjoy it but can live without it. Not so with water.

I guess we had to be part of the other threads to get the real gist here Sander. As a recent US Supreme Court judge so eloquently put it: "I like beer!" But that doesn't mean I'm obsessed with it. If someone can't live without beer then it likely means they're an alcoholic, which is a far cry from liking good beer.

On the question of consuming while underway, I believe it is illegal in Canada -- at least for the one running the vessel. In our case, we sail as a couple. Underway we both need to be able to take over all duties at any time, even when running watches. While one beer (or alcoholic drink) doesn't lead to inebriation, it certainly produces some level of impairment, or in my case, sleepiness.

Good beer, like all good foods, are to be savoured. I find it kinda kills some of the enjoyment if I have to be concerned about limiting my intake or counting the hours. But to each his/her own.

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
If god didn't want us to be happy, he/she wouldn't have let us invent beer!
My contention (seriously) is that beer pre-dated bread by several thousand years and was the reason hunter-gatherers became farmers in the Levent.

Men would sit down and till field for bread. But for a good drunken party? Yes.

·
Master Mariner
8,228 Posts
My contention (seriously) is that beer pre-dated bread by several thousand years and was the reason hunter-gatherers became farmers in the Levent.

Men would sit down and till field for bread. But for a good drunken party? Yes.
I was always under the impression that beer and mead were used when the water was unfit to drink way, way back when. It's probably not correct.

Reactions: MikeOReilly

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I was always under the impression that beer and mead were used when the water was unfit to drink way, way back when. It's probably not correct.
No, you are correct. Beer should be drunk when the water is unfit to drink. And all water not used for making beer should be considered unfit to drink.

This thread is ironically funny in that it was started about why people go on about drinking beer, and the responses have all gone on about drinking beer.

Aside from the inebriation point, people who truly love good beer (not talking about you MarkJ), do so for the same reasons other people truly love good Scotch, or wine, or other drinks.

For those of us with an experience beer pallet (again, not talking about you MarkJ), there is a wonderful and large world of tastes, aromas, mouth feel, and other sensory delights in the wide varieties and provenances of beers.

And Coors, Bud, and the like is like making a martini from the $6 plastic jug labeled "Gin" on the bottom of the shelf.

Mark

·
11,797 Posts
Beer....hmm...with chili. Zanshin couldnt wait to anchor ... to have a cold beer. goodonya
Commercial mass produced beer and it’s additives ....is way different than an IPA or local one.

Now a good Red Zin or Pinot noir matched with food accentuates it. Wine is part of many religious ceremonies.

I haven’t seen anyone here promoting impairment with alcohol with sailing.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We usually drink beer with Asian food... Indian, Thai, Chinese, Korean and Japanese. And as we rarely have this on board (except take out sushi). We drink beer when it's super hot or if Sal is on board ;-)

·
11,797 Posts
One of our “pans” aboard is a wok. It can be used for many purposes . Instead of heating the cabin with the stove we do a lot of Asian, thai , Indian foods in it by placing the wok on the magma grill. Also we make some awesome tandoori chicken / shrimp skewers on the grill. It’s relatively easy to cook Indian/ Asian on board and it’s all about the prep and having the correct spices there.

I do cheat an buy some of the sauces at Wegmanns premade , but we carry @asian 5 spice, mirin and good dark sesame oil in our pantry. You can be a star using fresh protein ingredients along with the correct spices, marinate the protein in a zip lock bag and either skewer them, stir fry them, or even wrap in aluminum foil and cook on the grill. It’s cheaper, fresher, hotter to make and it doesn’t need to be an expert chef.

Donna isn’t a beer drinker so sometimes I’ll get some sake. Or shochu Great in the cold fall months to have warmed. Japanese make a few ok beers also.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Up here in the great white North (Michigan), we have a pitifully short sailing season. We are also the world headquarters for craft beers. On the off season, I make, and drink, craft beer. Some of that carries over into the boating season.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Up here in the great white North (Michigan), we have a pitifully short sailing season. We are also the world headquarters for craft beers. On the off season, I make, and drink, craft beer. Some of that carries over into the boating season.
No kidding. I'm from Michigan - back in the days when Labattes, Strohs, and Blatz were premium beers - and returning back to see family over the past few years is an entirely different beer experience. Michigan has to be leading the country in good beers and numbers of breweries. You can't swing a cat now without hitting a microbrew, and there are now giant fields of hops growing where there used to be soy and corn. It is an absolute paradise of beer - and we have spent time in California, Oregon, and Washington to compare.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is now just a common mass-produced supermarket and gas station beer, but it is also one of the best beers ever created. With that as a baseline of quality, the rest of the state of brewing in Michigan is simply sublime.

Anyone who enjoys the best beer can offer should immediately go drink their way through Michigan.

Mark

·
11,797 Posts
1 - 20 of 124 Posts