SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Beetroot.
I don't recall seeing them canned in the UK but fresh are easy to find.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
Guys, I've got a recipe that says to use canned beets. I've never seen them in the UK. What are they? Could somebody tell me?

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Canned beet root. Comes whole and sliced (most common). If all you can get is fresh, you would have to peel it, and boil till almost tender to substitute for canned. (assuming the cooking time is not long enough to cook it) The juice in the can if included in the recipe could be substituted by the cooking liquid from above. If you are going to use the cooking liquid I would just cover the beets to use as little as possible so it picks up as much flavor as possible.

By the way the juice can be used for for coloring.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Maybe confusion is caused because the Brits call what we and I think going on my knowledge of Popeye cartoons, the US call Spinach, SilverBeet. English Spinach is a different critter.

Fresh cooked Beetroot is an absolute joy. There are numerous ways to cook but one of my favourites is wrapped in tinfoil, baked then served with chives and sour cream ... just like a baked potato. Top notch tucker but when you peer into the toilet bowl in the morning its best to remember what you ate the night before. Scared the daylights out of me.

I am curious to know what recipe requires canned beetroot.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Fresh cooked Beetroot is an absolute joy. There are numerous ways to cook but one of my favourites is wrapped in tinfoil, baked then served with chives and sour cream ... just like a baked potato.
That is my favorite way to eat beets too, delicious. I usually get a few from my garden, but this year the slugs got to them too much.

I have seen salad recipes that call for canned beet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
As I'm bilingual (English & American), I can assure you that a Rutabaga is a Swede, sometimes known as a Swedish Turnip.
BTW what has this got to do with sailing? :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Maybe confusion is caused because the Brits call what we and I think going on my knowledge of Popeye cartoons, the US call Spinach, SilverBeet. English Spinach is a different critter.
Now my Aussie is a bit weak but English Spinach and American Spinach are one and the same. Siverbeat, sometimes known a Perpetual Spinach or Spinach Beat, is Chard or Swiss Chard.

Veggies are bad enough - English vs American nautical and mechanical terminology is enough to drive you crazy.

Edit: I just discovered that Chard is called Spinach in South Africa. Confused yet?

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
Now my Aussie is a bit weak but English Spinach and American Spinach are one and the same. Siverbeat, sometimes known a Perpetual Spinach or Spinach Beat, is Chard or Swiss Chard.

Veggies are bad enough - English vs American nautical and mechanical terminology is enough to drive you crazy.

Edit: I just discovered that Chard is called Spinach in South Africa. Confused yet?
The stuff that Popeye slurps looks to me more like Chard than English Spinach. Down here we call Chard Spinach, English Spinach is called just that. We have both.

See the pic. The White and Red Silverbeet are Chard, known in Oz as Spinach.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.