SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that all the handholds, hatch guides and other woodwork has been sanded and re varnished with twelve coats I seek your expert opinions on final install tips. Should i run a small bead of marine caulk on the undersides of these pieces before re screwing them to the deck and cabin entry. Also should I treat the holes with any specific product like caulk or adhesive before screwing and bolting everything back on. Which product for which job is more or less what I am trying to ask.

·
Master Mariner
9,055 Posts
There is this handy dandy invention for marine bedding of just the sorts of items you are speaking of. It is called, get this, "bedding compound" and it comes in a can and can be applied with a putty knife and cleaned up with turps. Easy to apply, work with and clean up.
This amazing stuff has been around for something like 100 years and nothing I've ever seen beats it at doing what it was invented for; bedding things on a boat.

·
19,488 Posts
I'd suggest you run some masking tape across the contact areas, then dry-fit the pieces and trace the contact area on the tape. Remove the pieces and cut away the tape areas where there will be contact. Also mask off your nice new clean pieces. Then apply whatever bedding you're using, clean off the excess and remove the tape last of all.

If you're using Butyl you probably don't need the tape, but it might still make cleanup easier.

Reactions: RobGallagher

·
Registered
613 Posts
Faster's tape suggestion is the way to go. It just makes clean up a whole lot easier. There's also bedding that comes in a tape form for easy application.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
I used Butyl Tape and for many reasons, I'm glad I did. The main reason is that I made a few mistakes that required re-removing and re-reinstalling. It would have been an awful mess had I used caulk or worse: adhesive.

I followed Maine Sail's method to the letter, including the countersinking. It was easy and effective. Thanks again, Maine Sail! Keep a waste container very handy. There will be little blobs of excess butyl tape that you would rather have in the garbage than finding places to stick to you, your boat, and your tools.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I am another Butyl user, and Maine Sails in particular. I outline a spot and lay the tape down, tighten (not overly so) the item and good to go.

Best of luck

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I've seen recommendations go like this on a boat-owners group:
(Dolfinite is a Bedding Compound) ;)

Sealants work like this

Metal to Metal above the water line exterior----Polysulphide or 42/5200
metal to Glass above the water line--Polysulphide
Metal to Glass below the water line--Polysulphide or 42/5200
Wood to Wood-DOLFINITE
Wood to Glass---DOLFINITE

Wood to ANYTHING---DOLFINITE
I have personally used Dolfinite when I installed a wood board on deck for a vent and worked out very well. But I have also used the same Maine Sail Butyl tape for other hardware.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
butyl not being available in mexico, i use caulk. lots of it. my topsides donot leak. (except my bronze need to be rebuilt portholes!)
caulk the screw holes and without being stingy, the underside(deckside) of your items to be bedded.
squoosh the caulk with the tightening of the fasteners.
it is easier to overcaulk than to repair boat where constant leakage happens than to repair the damages many years later. prevention is so easy.

·
Barquito
3,678 Posts
Any idea what the Dolfinite is made of? Interesting that is skins-over, but, doesn't harden any more for years.

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
Any idea what the Dolfinite is made of? Interesting that is skins-over, but, doesn't harden any more for years.
MSDS can be found here: Dolfinite Bedding Compound

But mentions Mica at 1-5 % by weight, Crystalline Silicon Dioxide at 50-55%, and Mineral spirits at 5-10%

1 - 11 of 11 Posts