SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Gee... If boat ownership is so bleak and miserable, maybe I should just forget buying a boat, tie an anchor around my neck, and just dive off the dock now before the pain begins... :eek:

Look... I know it's not going to be perfect, I know it's an ongoing project to keep a boat in working order, and even more so when it's a used boat. But don't suck all the wind out of my sails already.

I just want to make an attempt to clear up the common locations where boats leak. I don't want the bilge pump running all summer for something I could have easily fixed while it was still on jack stands. And everything above the waterline I can start addressing on my evenings and weekends after I get it home since it'll just be floating 50' behind my back door.
There are a multiple places that add water to the bilge. In short - anything that bolts / has a hole through the hull. Chain plates are the most common, water, diesel and sewage plates / fill / discharge areas a close second... Thru-hulls - the mast ( tons there if you have a keel stepped one (and the biggest disadvantage in that scenario))..

It takes time to discover all of these as it is all oriented around temp, conditions and willingness to locate the source. Part of the joys of boat ownership and welcome to the club :) I will tell you - most of the spots are obvious if you let the signs tell you. If you have a splash of silicone around something - it will leak. If there is a mess of sealant around a thru fixture topside - it leaks.. Part of knowing your boat - is the tearing it down and building it up again and you'll be thankful for that knowledge in more ways than one...

Just no simple answer... so please do not take offense to the replies.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.