SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Congrats!

One thing I found on our new (last fall) boat that was missed by the survey was some crevice corrosion on a couple keel bolts under the nuts.

The surveyor tapped on each bolt, listening for dead sounds, and they did sound fine. But, he did not remove the nuts...not sure if that's s.o.p.

The bilge had water in it, and I suspect had for quite a while. That apparently didn't raise a flag with him. I think he did a fine job...but...

Since then, I took each nut off (one at a time), and the 3 most aft had some cc. I will need to take steps...but they are still strong now. I cleaned the bilge, bolts & nuts and coated them with Lanacote. The sealant around the bolts is still fine (keel not leaking)...so...I have re-torqued the nuts. I'll need to do the fairly common keel bolt fix sometime soon, though.

So, if the bilge has water in it...and the surveyor doesn't mention it...you might want to ask about cc on the bolts.

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Don't assume that I know what I'm doing... :p

So, from what I've read, repacking the stuffing box is a fairly simple task. Getting to it sounds like it's typically more of a challenge than the actual repacking process. But is there any reason why you "wouldn't" do that BEFORE you put it back in the water?

If I find out the stuffing box needs repacked AFTER I put it into the water, doesn't that turn into a $400 haul out just to get to the stuffing box again?
Do it before...that way you'll KNOW when it was done, and that it was done correctly. I just completed replacing the packing on my boat. No idea when it was last done...though the old packing looked fine to me...so maybe not long ago.

Still, I wanted to know it was done...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.