SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Never stop learning!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All
I don't know where to start... I was given a Sunfish Sailboat 3 years ago and have been hooked on sailing since. In the next 2 years or so I plan on purchasing my first real boat. My plan is to buy a boat with my brother with the intentions of eventually sailing the Florida keys and then on to the Bahamas. Being in my twenties, I figure if I don't make this dream happen now, it will never happen! I've come to this site to learn as much as I can about sailing. I know alot about the ocean and powerboats as I scuba dive almost every weekend out of my home port Sebastian Inlet, FL. Hopefully everyone will go easy on all my "nubie" questions!

-Tidewater

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good area for sailing...

I spent almost 14 years in the Melbourne/ Cocoa Beach area and sailed from Cape Canaveral to the St. Lucie Inlet and a few times to the Keys. Liked to go down the "ditch" on weekends and anchor off the inside of the Sebastian Inlet and fish. Never had the courage to take my 26' sail boat with 4hp diesel out the Sebastian... currents just too much and was generally on a tight schedule and could not hang around for slack tides.

Good area to learn to sail in the Indian River or off shore. Also at the time I lived in the area, you had several really good sailing schools. Not sure they are all still in operation as it was about 10 years ago and my instructor was about as old as dirt and semi retired at that time.

Let us know how your making out!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts