SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a begineer type of sailboats. I'm looking for a boat that requires a lot of activity. I'm looking for one that's easy to sail but also has some pysical requirements. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Physical activity? Get a kayak. ;-)

A windsurfer about did me in. Spent all my energy just getting aboard. Second day there was wind and that made it much easier. Very physical.

How about a Thistle (17 ft, , 650 lbs, 200 sq feet of sail). I was always tired after sailing ours.

Easy to sail . . . but occasionally a lot of work to keep upright. Setting the spinnaker would be near impossible unless you have at least one crew.

Are you looking for a single-hander, day-sailor, a weekender, coastal cruiser? Towable? Slip? Price range?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been kayaking and that's for a young man's game...hahaha I'm looking for a a day sailor type of boat. One that i can manage myself but big enough to have one to two friends on. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money since this will be the first one i buy. Where is a good website to look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first where do you live, second what do you mean by physical?
I live in north carolina. There are a few large open lakes that sailing is allowed on. I'm looking for a boat where you have to be physically active to sail it. I don't want to just sit in and steer. I want a boat that can be maneuverable that allows for a more hands on approach.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
okay the standard answer i give for those who want a small boat is a cal 22, big enough for 4 people day sailing, big enough for 2 to sleep on and its trailer able. there are other boats that are smaller that might be perfect, but i dont know small boats.

are you looking for new, old or older ie what price range

here is one that sold but that happens to be in north carolina with some pics in and outside.
the cal 22 can be found for a crazy range of prices, from 500 to 5000

and i am not saying its THE boat for ya, a lot of people recommend the rhodes 19 ( i know nothing about em ), except they dont have cabins
rhodes 19 page

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
wow i just looked an craigs list in north carolina, you have a lot of nice boats down there for around 3 grand. granted the ones i looked at all had cabins, as i think its nice to able to spend the night on the boat or at least duck down inside to go to the bathroom, or make lunch.

if you dont know about crazedlist.org go to it and learn, its a search engine for craigslist that allows you to search multiple areas at once

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I live in north carolina. There are a few large open lakes that sailing is allowed on. I'm looking for a boat where you have to be physically active to sail it. I don't want to just sit in and steer. I want a boat that can be maneuverable that allows for a more hands on approach.
kinda hard ta smoke yer weed an pore yer booze from the mason jar when yer havin ta move around an figure out what all them dam ropes do jus my opinion

·
Francophobe
168 Posts
too many to choose from

Based on the criteria given so far I think the list could include any number of boats from the Capri 14.2 on up. Personally I prefer dinghy's over keel boats (more action, less sitting) but you can sail a keel boat in a high action style as well. For the dinghy's a beginning list to look at:
Flying Scot
Boston Whaler Harpoon
Lightning
Thistle
Capri 14.2
Flying Junior
Buccaneer 18 (Chrysler, Starwind, Nickels, etc over the years)
Mutineer 15 (same builders as above)
O'Day Daysailor
Precision

The list can go on. Best thing to do is go out to the lakes and look at what else is being sailed. Having a group of sailors nearby in the same boat as you is a plus. Then come back and ask more questions.

·
Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Hell, I just came back from a two hour solo sail on Hempstead Harbor (LI Sound) on a Sunfish and I am a little beat from hiking out in 15 knot gusts. Be careful what you wish for; any boat can be 'hands on' when the wind pipes up making it difficult to "smoke yer weed an pore yer booze from the mason jar".
Nauty Hog!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Isotope catamaran. It is one design class. The class is active on NC lakes. Light weight, performance boat. Can be sailed by one or two persons in either cat or sloop configuration.
It can be demanding physically while on trapeze. At same time relatively easy to master, compare to high performance dinghies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.