SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have someplace to live when all this *&$(#&(*@#&$ rain in Maine floods the state!

Could be my almost overwhelming desire to get some sunny sailing time in at the beginning of the season, but I swear, I haven't seen a stretch of rainy weather like this in a LONG time.

I don't mind showers...but these downpours for days on end are getting ridiculous.

My mold has mold.

Sorry for the rant...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
it might rain up there but all it does is wash down hill to me in maryland and on the way it picks up the trash in new york

·
560 Posts
I'm with ya! I had a friend call me at work today and asked sarcastically, "Glad you own a boat aren't you?"

I thought of replying with something about gathering animals 2 by 2, but instead told him, "yea, I'm going to start using it to commute to downtown!"

This $uck$ a$$!!!

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Seattle changed sides.

Had a nice sail Wednesday though. But had to cancel this weekend. :mad: Next week will be nice! At least thats the forecast. Of course a five day forecast is only 51% correct! A coin toss is 50/50....heads I'm going sailing in the sun, tails I'm going to get wet :)

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here! Brought my boat from Rockland to Friendship Weds. Beautiful day (tease tease tease)!

Sailing was good, though the wind was on the nose for almost the whole trip.

Still...especially considering the weather this spring...it was an EXCELLENT day.

The radar shows what may be a band of clearing tomorrow afternoon...could be a small window to get in some sail time.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Do you want some cheese with that Whine....

Geez, throw some foulies on and go out in the rain. So you're going to get a little wet, you're not going to melt are you? If you don't use the boat, it's going to get wet anyway, so you might as well use it.

Got an email from Sunday's race skipper today. He thinks it might be a little too windy to go out on his J105 based on the forecast, 20 kt winds, with gusts up to 30 and 6 to 9' seas. Another whimp.

All kidding aside, yes this summer in northern New England has been a little dreary. I did go out on Wednesday afternoon and early evening to some wonderful weather. Last Saturday was absolutely gorgeous also, but most weekends have been either cold or rainy.

DrB

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mind a little rain...but days and days of dreary, cold showers interspersed with torrential downpours is getting old.

Now, the forecast has changed and there are NO sunny days forecast next week.

I'll be looking for any letup...showers or no.

Look! Penicillin!

·
Registered
433 Posts
The best thing about sailing is that your Doctor cannot prescribe a legal drug that will do for you what sailing will do nor will any illegal drug.
We had a long cold wet winter here in the PNW 80/09 but Summer arrived about May 17 and we have had little or no rain since, great sailing weather but winters here suck big time.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I thought the rain in Main stayed mainly on the plane.:laugher

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
it might rain up there but all it does is wash down hill to me in maryland and on the way it picks up the trash in new york
Only from our home's septic overflow (via Chenango R. to Susquehanna). We're on a ridge and the chicken coop is on the opposite slope of our property and that effluient goes to the Delaware Bay. :laugher

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Well, I went sailing in the fog today... was actually a very nice sail. :)

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My father has a conspiracy theory regarding the weather forecasters here in Maine.

Because Maine relies heavily on tourist dollars, it would not do to have tourists rethink their plans and stay home due to crappy forecasts (especially on the weekends).

So, the State of Maine uses tax dollars to pay off weather forecasters to hint that the weekends might not be as bad and the sun probably will come out (this is called "Partly Cloudy").

Seems the long range forecast this coming week calls for the sun finally reappearing Friday, with nice weather Sat.

Hmmm....

Well...the wind is blowing, it's not pouring...I'm going sailing.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
I was sailing Thursday, Friday and Saturday this past week, and while it was foggy or overcast, it didn't actually rain while I was on the boat any of the three days. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thank you Maniacs for reminding me why I moved south. We have friends in upstate NY and they tell me they're also having one of the crappiest Junes ever.

It's 100 deg. here in Atlanta and sunny. It's almost too hot to go out on the water. Thank goodness for ac and swimming pools!

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Another benefit!

All this rain has done something else. It's made this year's crop of mosquitoes horrendous. I constantly feel weak because of blood loss, whenever I spend any time outside.

EXCEPT...on the boat! No bugs on the water...at least where I am. Must be the low food supply. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Is it wrong to get a perverse sense of pleasure from sucking up mosquitoes and black flies with the shop vac?

·
Vikingsailor
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!

What is it??? Is it the Apocalypse???

Something...bright...in the sky!!! Warm! Shining! What? What?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Don't worry, it won't be there for long... :)
What is it??? Is it the Apocalypse???

Something...bright...in the sky!!! Warm! Shining! What? What?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Yesterday was my first sail with a non-profit group that has three small boats and takes out handicap and other disadvantaged people to experience the water. They are checking me out to see if I can captain for them. On my second sail of the day it was starting to get a little chilly and looked liked it might rain. We had about five people and an counselor from a group home. The home resident sitting next to me, a girl about 20 but seems more like 10, had a hard time focusing on the positive. She started complaining about being cold, so I lent her a shirt. Then she started asking to go back because it might rain.

So I ask her in a low conspiratorial voice. "Did you see the movie?" She said "What movie". I said, "According to the movie unless you are a witch and melt in the rain there shouldn't be any problem. So are you like the witch or Dorthy?
After that she didn't give us any trouble and it didn't rain until three hours after we got back.

The nice thing about Long Island Sound is that if you don't like the weather just wait an hour and it will probably change.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts