SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken the plunge and purchased a bene 320 so the fun starts. The tiller is extremely stiff and creaks when moved, evidently i need to lubricate but is there an easy way to do this?

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the rudder bearings. Doing any work on them will probably involve dropping the rudder, which generally requires a haulout.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,308 Posts
I have just taken the plunge and purchased a bene 320 so the fun starts. The tiller is extremely stiff and creaks when moved, evidently i need to lubricate but is there an easy way to do this?
Is the boat in the water? If not, you may find the noise goes away when wet, try throwing a pail of water on the fittings and see if the squeak disappears. If it does not, I'd try working some waterproof grease into the fitting, the type of grease used on furling units that require greasing, for example
312-501 Furlex Multi purpose grease or the same stuff you'd put in an outboard lower drive.

Also the rudder is probably a balanced design, so you should find the tiller becomes delightfully light to operate when the boat is moving...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tiller

Thanks for the input, I will try first to grease it as the roller furling also gets jammed on release. If that doesn't work i'll look at a haul out. The boat has had very infrequent use so i'm hoping that with more use it will free up.

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,308 Posts
Thanks for the input, I will try first to grease it as the roller furling also gets jammed on release. If that doesn't work i'll look at a haul out. The boat has had very infrequent use so i'm hoping that with more use it will free up.
Check to see what servicing your particular furling system nee3ds annually. My Furlex requires washing and greasing of drum and swivel bearings.

Assuming you are sure that any jamming is not due to any furler line friction or line wrap/drum conflict, you might try easing the halyard a few inches to see if that resolves then problem, then tension appropriately. Your sail luff may be cut too closely to the needed length. You may/may not need a tensioned luff to furl properly, however I always ease the halyard before leaving the boat, then tension again before the next use. Whatever works, well works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts