SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to haul out and want to remove my rudder for repair. The job looks as if it only involves the removal of the quadrant and upper collar to drop out the rudder. Am I missing something and can anyone familiar with the job advise me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That use to be the case.

to consider:

1. Sometimes the rudder will not drop by itself, external forces may have to be applied. Sometimes enough to move the rudder back and forth somewhat.

2. Dropping the rudder often requires some extra space for the rudder if the shaft is to completely come out; rudder + shaft is usually very long. If this is done during haul-out then maybe the boat can be positioned, at least temporary, in such a way that the rudder can be completely dropped. Another possibility is to dig ... use to be a lot of work.

/J

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a Beneteau First 38, dropped the rudder two times (inspection and a small modification)

Chances are that your installation is similar.

If you are planning to do this with the boat hanging in a lift I would advice you to make sure all bolts can be removed before lifting, bolts going through aluminium will probably need some persuasion to come loose.

The quadrant is fixed with bolts & nuts - the first time we took it off the bolts was stuck in the aluminium, heat and force helped to get it loose.
I used Duralac on assembly to make it easier the next time

The rudder is hanging on this thrust bearing, the bolt in this pic secure the collar.

Lift the rudder to take the load of the thrust bearing before removing the bolt, we use two cockpit winches for this, Ropes tied to the heel of the rudder. used the ropes/winches to lower the rudder and to lift it back.

Thrust bearing with collar.

Rudder in it's way down

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi My name is chris Mccarthy. I have an 1984 first 38. I love the boat and I’m in the middle of a refit. I trying to drop the rudder and the pin was difficult to get out but finally came with a couple of bruised knuckles. Now I at the thrust betting. It has never been disassembled and it’s not budging. Is there a special trick?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi My name is chris Mccarthy. I have an 1984 first 38. I love the boat and I'm in the middle of a refit. I trying to drop the rudder and the pin was difficult to get out but finally came with a couple of bruised knuckles. Now I at the thrust betting. It has never been disassembled and it's not budging. Is there a special trick?
Take load off by lifting the rudder a few millimeters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts