SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
A member here (eherilhy) replaced his strut in his ODay 35 within the last year. He had a custom strut made up for him. The ODay strut has a palm so installation is different. A search here should turn up that thread. Also a number of years ago a member (now inactive) replaced the strut in his Cal 33. Also had one made up for him by the original foundry. That strut doesn't have a palm so is installed like yours.

Since Beneteau is still in business unlike ODay and Cal, they may be able to tell you where to get a new strut. Also Buck Algonquin sells off the shelf struts like that with no palm.

If the strut is still in good shape and just needs to be reattached, I see no reason why that can't be done without removing the shaft and rudder.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Thanks for your reply JimsCAL. Have reached out to Beneteau for information on the repair and a source for the strut and am awaiting a reply. I was initially considering the possibility of simply re-aligning the strut and refilling the strut housing cavity with epoxy but just as a temporary measure.
Yes, that would be a temporary fix. I am suggesting if the existing strut is solid, you reinstall it following the procedure you posted from Bene. That's how you would put a new one in. That would not be a temporary fix.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts