SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered and paid in full for an Oceanis 38 that was supposed to be shipped on 10/31 but was just told today that “due to a world-wide shortage of teak, Beneteau has stopped production on all boats. They can’t build your cockpit floor so they can’t build your boat”. Hearing that the world’s largest sailboat builder has halted production on all boats is of great concern as I've already wired the $ to purchase the boat. Has anyone else experienced this? Please advise.

EDIT BY Jeff_H: Based on my conversation with Chris Doscher, Beneteau North America Sales Director, Beneteau does not have a shortage of 'teak' and they are not stopping or slowing production of boats. I am inserting this because SailNet forum rules do not allow people to post blatantly inaccurate information about members of the marine industry. While it is not always easy to distinguish a false claim, this one was easy to verify. That said, I am not disputing whether Fleur de Mer was told this by someone else.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
I know that Bene, in France, agreed to some sustainable blah, blah, blah, when it comes to teak. There are places they will not buy it from, because its not harvested sustainably, or the natives are tortured or some such. Limits access for them.

I believe there is some limited teak left aboard (maybe toe rails, trim, comings, floor grating, I don't know). But Mark is right about the wall panels. They are just "manufactured" teak, with a grain pattern painted on.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
By the way, I assume you purchased through a dealer? Is that who is giving you this news or Bene directly?

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
I believe there is some limited teak left aboard (maybe toe rails, trim, comings, floor grating, I don't know). .

I think you will find all wood on Beneteaus is non teak and has been for many years. All exterior is Iroko. Interiors are Duka.

Iroko is sometimes called African Teak but its a totally different family.

Inheriting much of the DNA from the older Oceanis range, the large cockpit is deep and clad in Iroko, an African hardwood similar to teak.
http://www.asia-pacificboating.com/features/2012/beneteau-oceanis-45

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Ordered and paid in full for an Oceanis 38 that was supposed to be shipped on 10/31 but was just told today that “due to a world-wide shortage of teak, Beneteau has stopped production on all boats. .

Why would you fully pay for something that is yet to be delivered. When I bought my new Beneteau I put $1 down initially and only a few thousand down until the boat was commissioned and delivered. I would worry about a dealer that required full payment prior to delivery.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Maybe the guy shorted Beneteau stock. Great way for a day trader to make some quick cash.

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: davidpm

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
That was his first post? BS meter is over all the way.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
2,152 Posts
To the OP,

It seems some members don't believe your post.

Why don't you add some supporting facts to bolster your credibility, such as: the date of purchase, the name and address of the seller and broker shown on your contract, the amount of the purchase price, the payee to whom you wired funds, the exact amount of your wire, and the expected delivery date.

Of course, you could not possibly be a false poster with a false post, not on SailNet! :laugher:laugher:laugher (now, be prepared to see the amazing disappearing poster act...)

FYI: Beneteau is reporting FY net income of $9.2 million euros on FY revenue of $808.4 million euros, one of the few continuing success stories in boating: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/06/beneteau-results-idUSFWN0SW08B20141106

·
Administrator
7,167 Posts
That was his first post? BS meter is over all the way.
Same in a certain other forum :rolleyes:
I called it too, but my post was deleted. :rolleyes: they dont like me over there. Nor Beneteaus! :laugher

But when there is just one source to the story so newsworthy(factually incorrect in that they dont use teak and Beneteau would never lie and say they do) and its by one guy doing his first post in two different forums, nothing on Google, my BS meter twitches too.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Mine is going off the scale.

Not sure what it is but something smells a bit whiffy not the least being that he only learns today 08/11 that a boat that was supposed to ship 31/10 has not been built ? Why would anyone make final payment on something that was not even finished ?

Nah ... bollocks or Mr Fleur de Mer has been seriously hoodwinked.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Interesting that on the other forum FdM has been talking about his forthcoming Beneteau since September. That seems to suggest that they are on the level though I find it utterly unbelievable that a mob like Beneteau could possibly halt production for any reason and only one person on the planet seems aware of the fact.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"but was just told today "
Told by whom? By "they" someone?

Wait till Monday, they are going to call you back and offer to expedite your boat, if you can pay an extra $2500 for their private teak supply.(G)

That kind of rumor should get you calling Beneteau, directly, on the phone. Or by fax or email. And getting a direct answer.

I do know that around 1980, there was a strike at a thread company, and because GM couldn't get any red (burgundy) thread, they couldn't make any burgundy interiors and all cars on all models that specified that, were delayed by some months for delivery. Odd things happen. GM could afford delays, I doubt Beneteau could. Or that B would be so stupid, since teak "floors" don't prevent the rest of a boat from being completed.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Cant someone in the USA make a quick phone call to the factory in South Carolina and ask?
I emailed to inquire about it, but haven't heard anything back. As mentioned elsewhere there doesn't seem to be much teak on the boat to begin with (if any), and I have a real hard time believing that a major user like Beneteau wasn't aware of, and made plans for, a teak shortage. I can't rule it out, but it seems incredibly unlikely.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts