SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Did you notice that Michael on Sequitur had his dodger/bimini/enclosure up in that F10-11 off Cape Horn? Seems like they're sturdier than anyone thought!
I don't now if he had done that but it seemed a pretty crazy thing to do. Even if the structure is strong enough it will add a huge windage to the boat and if it can take all that wind (I would not count on that) certainly any wave that come through the cockpit will rip it apart.

Are you sure he kept the "Full house" up with a force 10/11?

I always roll the bimini when it blows over 30K wind.

Regards

Paulo

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
We went up the coast of NSW end of last winter, deck awash, saw 35 - 40 knots on one occasion plenty of 30 - 35knots. We had the side curtains rolled up but left rest of the cockpit covers in situ. Didn't get my feet wet until I had to go on deck as we prepared to cross the bar into our destination.

Reduce performance ? Probably does. Do I care ? Not a jot.
Hey Andrews, I don't see it as a performance problem but as a question of seaworthiness.

OK you get away with 40K but imagine that it turned up 50 or 60K and you have waves going over the boat. it was not on those conditions that you would take away your bimini and covers and then they would be a liability ofering a grab for the waves.

As it was many times pointed out high freeboard is prejudicial in what concerns dynamic stability and by the same reason the covers, biminis and everything that can contribute to increase the lateral area, the area exposed to breacking waves are a bad idea in really bad weather.

Regards

Paulo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.