SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, All. I bent the mast with the bend toward the stern on my Capri Cyclone 13 and managed to straighten it out by leaving it in the sun between two saw horses and applying pressure with my rear end. However near the end there is still a slight bend and it's impossible for me to get the bend out by sitting on it. So, any thoughts on this?

I also noticed this weekend as I was raising the sail, I was having problems almost mid way up the mast. It felt like the sail was stuck. The sail has a rope edge that travels inside the mast. I took down the mast and thought the mast may have become bent again. I straightened the only way I know, and hoila, the sail traveled more smoothly. It must have happened last weeke nd when I was tightening the mainsheet while sailing as the mast was originally ben in the direction that the mast tightens. So, does aluminum have a memory and how could I prevent this from happening again?

I appreciate any input.

·
Sailor
935 Posts
I don't see any other options than either a collar if you want to save the mast and you aren't fussy about performance or a new mast if you are fussy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Small boat means small forces but bending an aluminum mast will significantly reduce the strength of said mast. Drastically increasing if not ensuring your chances of mast failure. The shape of your mast walls is your strength and once compromised you will never get it back to normal. You may be able to put a sleeve on it, replace it with new or used or build a birds mouth mast. You could recycle it because the aluminum is worth around 50 cents a pound and put that towards a used mast. I know not much money compared to a used mast. Check Craigslist in your area. Good luck. Justin

·
Tundra Down
1,290 Posts
I successfully straightened a small mast like yours using a couple of trees that were growing close together. I just placed the mast between the trees where it needed the "adjustment" and carefully pushed against the long end. A couple of these "tweaks" and it was fine.

Down

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.