SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon pulling my friends Sabre 28 yesterday, we found that he bent the rudder stock when he went aground last fall. Anyone have a good procedure for straightening a rudder stock without gutting the stock from the rudder?

I know we'll have to remove the rudder from the boat, but then what?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
US27-

It would help to know what the stock is made of. Also, where is the stock bent?

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you are able to straighten the rudder shaft, whether it is stainless steel or bronze, the force required to bend it a second time will be significantly less. If it is a composite shaft ,it is really broken , not bent. In either case, I would split the rudder ,remove the shaft and plate, and replace it. I bent a rudder shaft during a grounding once,straightened it , then had the rudder break off at the same location.This left no pattern to go by when I started from scratch building a new one. Best to do it right the first time.

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, the stock appears to be stainless and is bent where the stock enters the rudder. The owner is not very handy, and I don't feel like doing this repair for him. The good news is that Sabre is still in business, and can sell him a new one. I think that's what I'll tell him to do.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
saves you some headaches too. :)
Thanks, the stock appears to be stainless and is bent where the stock enters the rudder. The owner is not very handy, and I don't feel like doing this repair for him. The good news is that Sabre is still in business, and can sell him a new one. I think that's what I'll tell him to do.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Most machine shops have a hydraulic press. For a few sheckles you can have them straighten the rudder post to within the specs for your vessel.
Have done this a couple of times. But be sure that that rudder post is mag fluxed for any cracks. Because if there are cracks it is either welding or replacement time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts