SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bermuda to host 2017 America's Cup >> Scuttlebutt Sailing News

Not official. Anonymous source.

Not sure how I feel. I live in San Diego, and have witnessed an ACWS and an RC44 event, and it was a good atmosphere, with knowedgable, helpful people, and a good chance to see the boats up close.

But traffic could be a complete nightmare.

But, I don't know anything about Bermuda, except it's hot.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Not sure how I feel about it being in Bermuda. I know I still dislike Ellison. I hope they make the boats a bit safer too. I think I read they were scaling them down a bit? Can't help but wonder if San Fran was going to give him a hard time over something.

Still wish they would return to Newport one of these days. Hopefully, we'll get part of the World Series again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure how I feel about it being in Bermuda. I know I still dislike Ellison. I hope they make the boats a bit safer too. I think I read they were scaling them down a bit? Can't help but wonder if San Fran was going to give him a hard time over something.

Still wish they would return to Newport one of these days. Hopefully, we'll get part of the World Series again.
The new formula is "AC 62", which means a 62' boat rather than a 72'. I agree about wanting them smaller than the 72's. For me, it's kind of about wanting to see boats of a similar size to production boats. Something I can relate to better. Not that this really gets anywhere near that, but it's marginally better.

I used to live in Vermont. Somehow, during that time, I managed not to ever go to RI. I've been to all the other states up there in N.E. Seems like it could be a great place. I know it has lots of tradition.

On somewhat of a tangent, they are one of the host cities for the VOR, if that strikes your fancy at all. I've been enjoying following it on the web.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And so it is. Bermuda.

San Diego is not mentioned, even for ACWS, but there appear to be a few slots to fill. Chicago might be one of them. Very glad to see Gothenburg in ACWS as well.

Good to see the Junior AC be mentioned as well. I don't know anything about the junior ranks, but hope to learn a bit. AC45's, I guess. Should be a very exciting component of this.

Congrats, Bermuda! I can't wait.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what I've read, the ACWS needs to get their act together after the Portsmouth event/debacle. There's so much potential to capitalize on the interest in sailboat racing generated in San Francisco. Let's hope they are more polished in Gothenberg! They are competing for attention with the likes of the Extreme Sailing series and the 52 Super Series in Spain.

·
Banned
276 Posts
How was it a debacle? I did hear the weather was rough.
France was cancelled .

Day 2 was cancelled Portsmouth

Best view spots costs where approx. 179 dollars Poor on line coverage. Not exciting at all

Sweden races on the river Aaaaaaaaaa....h

Yeeks....

Yachting on a polluted river. They better watch for flood debris like submerged logs.

Are they jet boats, rowing boats, punting boats, trout fishing boats, canoe race boats or water skiing towing boats.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.