SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Just want to share something I got yesterday from Home Depot. It is a Bernzomatic butane flame that has some attachments (only the solder and rope cutting attachments are really relevant). I have used it to cut some main sail tie-downs and screwed around with the included solder and it's not terrible.

I would think about it if you ever do electrical work away from AC or just don't want to mess with extension cords. For $15, not a bad thing to have around.

Bernzomatic Butane Micro Flame Torch and Accessory Kit-328630 at The Home Depot

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had one of these for a few years. I also recommend it. Seems to hold the butane so it is ready to go when you need it. Great for soldering when you have no shore power, and even better than a soldeing gun for large pieces of metal.
Refills just like the old cigatette lighters. Remember those?

·
Registered
23,429 Posts
Probably a bit irrational, but flame tools give me the creeps aboard. I don't even like the little torches for shrink wrap and prefer to use a heat gun. I had one of those mini torches that was defective and didn't shut off when you let go of the trigger. Imagine dropping it? I also have an electric rope cutter.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you figure out how to refill the little bernz o matic please let me know. The instructions are not clear, I've tried with the refill cylinder pointing up, down, sideways and it blows lots of propellent all over the place ( suggestion - don't refill near a flame, below decks or while smoking a cigar). I seem to get some butane into the torch and when I do it works great, very handy to have on board. Wish filling were easier though.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Usually you hold the gizmo upside down, with the filling port facing up. Then you hold the gas can upside down and insert it firmly into the filling port. This allows the liquid butane to be pushed down into the gizmo. There's usually some spray during the filling but shouldn't be a lot unless the gizmo or the gas can is defective. And when the gizmo is full, there's usually a sprayback of butane to let you know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I used to have a very similar handheld in my "whatever" crafting kit .. think Ill get a new one handy thing to have around.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I have a Ronson Auto start tech torch, handy little booger, hell, you can light your pipe with it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts