SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just joined Sailnet and am wondering about people's idea of the perfect 25-27 foot sailboat for Pamlico Sound? I am relocating there this summer. I like working on boats and so don't mind a fixer-upper, as I don't plan on getting on the water this year. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Freedom isn't free
3,057 Posts
I don't know loads about that sound, but we day sailed it (my brother and I) years ago in his 17 foot Newport. I'd suspect the best boat in that range would be the one with the least draft. One thing that struck me the most about the sound was how incredibly shallow it was in most places. I'd probably put centerboard boats higher on the list than fixed keel boats, mostly because if you run aground then, at least you'd be able to lift the centerboard and sail off. Off the top of my head, ODay 26, Lancer 28, Beneteau 26 (the Euro model with the swinger), swing keel Catalina 25, you see where I am going with this. Second on my list would be wing keel models, mostly because if you run them aground they'll be harder to get off the bar than a swing, or centerboard. Shoal keels or full keels might be a consideration.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't know loads about that sound, but we day sailed it (my brother and I) years ago in his 17 foot Newport. I'd suspect the best boat in that range would be the one with the least draft. One thing that struck me the most about the sound was how incredibly shallow it was in most places. I'd probably put centerboard boats higher on the list than fixed keel boats, mostly because if you run aground then, at least you'd be able to lift the centerboard and sail off. Off the top of my head, ODay 26, Lancer 28, Beneteau 26 (the Euro model with the swinger), swing keel Catalina 25, you see where I am going with this. Second on my list would be wing keel models, mostly because if you run them aground they'll be harder to get off the bar than a swing, or centerboard. Shoal keels or full keels might be a consideration.
==================================================================
as a resident/sailor of Morehead City totally agree,DRAFT capitol letters is the controlling factor that will either make your ability to sail and ENJOY it or an ongoing frustration.
Wish had my old Tartan 34 with the retractable centerboard!!!!!
Now my 30 ft Cape Dory with 4.6 draft limits my ability to get out as I please, always a prisoner of the tides.
Good luck on your search, to find the ideal boat is always half of the fun.

·
deisher6
96 Posts
Hey Wade: We live in New Bern but I have sailed on the Neuse River, Pamlico River, Pungo River, Albemarle Sound (River), as well as Pamlico Sound. (mostly motored the Alligator River)I usually wind up single handling. I started up with an '86 ComPac-27 because I had owned one before, in 1986, the systems and it cost >$5000. We kept the C-27 for 4 years and surprisingly the Admiral suggested that if I wanted a later boat I could get one "IF' I sold the ComPac. That wasn't to hard and we purchased a PSC 34. I was discouraged on getting beat up on the Pamlico Sound with the 27 and any where / time with winds over 20 kts. The PSC-34 solved those problems. I have run around a few times but with the exception of an occasional oyster bed there no rocks in the Sound, just mud. But I would say that 5ft draft would be a reasonable limit.

In the 8 years we have lived here I think that I have logged very close to 500 days on the rivers and sound in our boats, plus a couple more on other's.

Smooth Sailin
regards Charlie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all. Thanks for the great information. That is what I was looking for. Charlie, it's nice to make your acquaintance, and hopefully we can meet up sometime when I get to New Bern.

Have a great one,
Wade

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wade There is no "best" boat for anything or any place but there might be a "best" boat for a particular sailor. In almost every case, it is also the sailor rather than the boat that makes the difference but if there is one thing that is the limiting factor more than anything beside the sailor, it is the draft. So, what do YOU mean when you say "best"?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I always thought a Seaward 26 or a 32 would be nice for the shallow draft. I climbed around on them at the Annapolis boat show a few years ago and they seemed pretty well built. I’ve never sailed one so no direct experience. They can be a little pricey too though.
Terry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wade There is no "best" boat for anything or any place but there might be a "best" boat for a particular sailor. In almost every case, it is also the sailor rather than the boat that makes the difference but if there is one thing that is the limiting factor more than anything beside the sailor, it is the draft. So, what do YOU mean when you say "best"?
Hi Captain44,

You are correct, and after thinking about it more, I am looking for an older boat with shallow keel that can be singlehanded, bit also take some people out to Ocracoke on a nice weekend. I am likely to have access to a BW boat, so ability to handle the Atlantic is not necessary. I am fine with working on boats, so if it needs a little work that is fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts