SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Bombay Explorer 44
3,618 Posts
Reaction score
A Tohatsu/Nissan [same engine different stickers ] 3.5 hp 4 st is worth a look. It is available as a longshaft and quieter than a Honda.

The warrenty is supposed to be 5 years and that might apply in the US mine a 18hp developed problems at 11 months and finally failed totally when the bottom bearing collapsed. 13 months later it has not yet been repaired.

Budget Marine have given me the right royal runaround on this. Still they are mostly OK I just got a rogue engine and dealer.

· Bombay Explorer 44
3,618 Posts
Reaction score
So...you're recommending a brand that you had and broke completely within a year? That's not really how recommendations work. You're supposed to recommend products that you've used and have served you well....
My problem is rare and mostly down to Budget Marine not stepping up and stripping the motor when I first reported the problem. At that time a new seal would have fixed it.

There are oodles of Tohatsus/Nissans/Small Mercurys [ same motors different badges] pushing dinks around where I sail and nearly all are fine.

I was loaned a battered old 6hp Nissan 4st which ran just fine and just bought an 8 year old Tohatsu 2.5hp as a stopgap till either Budget Marine do the right thing or I buy another 15/18hp.

· Bombay Explorer 44
3,618 Posts
Reaction score
How do you know your problem is rare? Just because you see them at the harbor doesn't mean you know how well they've worked. Maybe you should go with a different brand next time. It's just crazy to me you'd actually recommend someone something that broke!
How do I know it is rare? Well I am a full time liveaboard in the Eastern Caribbean currently in Falmouth harbor for Antigua race week and plugged into the liveaboard FB pages forums etc. Also I talk with others at potlucks, jam sessions, shopping trips, happy hours. Trust me I would hear if Tohatsus were generally unreliable.

I have just this morning bought an 8 year old Tohatsu 2.5 2 st. I am happy with my buy, it runs well starts easily and pees water. Sure s**t happens and it could blow up but so far so good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.