SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a little 15ft full keel sailboat (Danica 16) that weighs around 900 lbs
I'm looking for a new outboard as I'd like to go a little farther afield and wouldn't mind a bit more omph.
I currently use a longshaft Seagull 40plus clutched model(it has neutral and forward) It's been a very good motor, starts super easy, very reliable and really easy to fix if something goes amiss. It is however, pretty loud and with my boat has a top speed of 3.5-4 knots and that's if I'm running it all out which is when it's loudest of course)
My boat has a hull speed of 4.5 - 5 knots and it would be nice to achieve that without having to run full throttle in case I needed a little extra to fight a current or motor into a breeze
So
My criteria are:
-2.5 - 5 hp
-longshaft
-neutral! reverse would be fun but not at all necessary
- 45lbs or lighter all in(lighter is better!! the seagull weighs in at about 32lbs full)
- Adequate gas tank or seperate tank as I don't want to hang off the back end of my double ender refueling unless I really really have to
-fuel econony
- not super loud
- 2 or 4 stroke
-relatively easy to maintain(I can do this myself)
-oh and I have a pretty limited budget

I'd been thinking about some of the older 60s-70s john evinrude 3-4 hps but I'm sure of any of them have neutral....I like neutral!
Thanks

· Registered
192 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. They've given me some food for thought
I think I need to narrow my criteria a bit
Probably not over 40 lbs all in, preferably around 35 lbs if at all possible
Nothing over 4.5 hp
And not over $500
I thinking used!

· Registered
192 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completely agree about used outboards, one has to know what to look for and suss out the previous owner a little. Serious negelect is usually pretty obvious, but not always.

I completely disagree about British Seagulls. I've had a few and the've all been easy to start, low maintenance motors. A Seagull can take serious neglect better than any other motor, I've bought motors that haven't run in 20 years and looked a little scary that started in one pull with fresh gas.

Good little motors Seagulls, not for everyone though. I've certainly had way better luck buying used Seagulls than other used outboards(Viking, Johnson, Evinrude, etc).
My current one has always started first pull and has been very reliable.
I use it everytime I go sailing which is at least a couple times a week.
I've also accidentally(my fault) spilled it in the drink a couple times and after a good freshwater rinsing and drying out for a day it works just fine, not many motors can say that.

Did you have an actual outboard suggestion??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.