SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What advice, comment or saying has made the biggest impression on you relating to sailing, boats in general, going offshore or cruising?
Mine is below in my signature.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not to sure this works with sailing (it's not nice to mess with mother nature). My parents used to say...The per-paired don't need it

·
Registered
200 Posts
On one of those internet quotes page the one that states:
"The art of a sailor is leaving nothing to chance", Annie Van De Wiele

Seconded by Thucydides "A collision at sea can ruin your whole day". (Back when I worked for an airline, I frequently heard this muttered by pilots just before push back.)

And, only for use on cold, rainy days when its your trick at the wheel:
"He who would go to sea for pleasure, would go to hell for a pastime."
Lou

·
Administrator
7,204 Posts
I use a saying that I am very anti:

"We've got no plans.... And we are sticking to them."

That's a way to be bored with cruising. My idea is always to have a plan, to be heading somewhere ad know what you are doing. Otherwise it's just waiting to die like in a Florida retirement home.

Set a goal and achieve it. But as SOON as you have achieved one set another goal and go achieve that :) .....oh. And make sure the goals are fun, full of rum and laughter :)

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The advice I remember was given to me by a WWII destroyer Commander, with whom I sailed transatlantic. (Well after the war.) He said he got it from the Air Force: "Plan everything. If you plan everything out, when it all goes to Hell, it will be because you planned it that way.".

·
Old as Dirt!
3,486 Posts
Three:

"When in Doubt, Let it Out";

and,

"If you're not bored when you're coming into a slip, you're going too fast!"

and,

"In a contest between Man and Nature, Nature always wins. Act accordingly."

Reactions: emcentar

·
Registered
410 Posts
What does a man need-really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in-and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all-in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade. The years thunder by, the dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed. Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

-Sterling Hayden

·
Registered
34 Posts
The best piece of advice I received came from a friend as I was docking my new sailboat for the first time. He said,"if you think you are going slow enough, you are going way to fast"!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts