SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After thinking it over and over and over and looking at an insane number of boats...we've reluctantly decided to put off the purchase of a coastal boat for a few years and go the charter route instead. It just makes more sense for us right now - and gives us the freedom to go to some crazy beautiful places, pick up a pimpin' ride and have some fun without all the ongoing overhead and work. In the mean time, we'll enjoy our C27 in our little lake and keep improving our mad sailing skillz.

So, as I now start to plow through the charter threads - I'd love to get some opinions from those who've done it...

What are the best and worst things about chartering?

I can already see comparisons of companies, locales, etc. And I've seen some interesting tips on packing and provisioning - but what about larger issues?

What should a chartering newb be prepared for that may not be obvious to the average moron like me?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well....okay....if you say so. Like I said, just looking for advice from those that have been there. And I guess you made it fine - right?

Thanks bro!

AAAaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggg.....

·
TROUBLE
964 Posts
Smack, I can't advise you on charters, but think you're making a pretty smart move. After buying my boat, and finding the "to do" and "to buy" list growing each trip, a charter doesn't sound bad. And you don't have to worry about your boat that is 250 miles away during hurricane season.

I like the ankle bracelet!

Ralph

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ralph, dude! What's up?

Thanks for the feedback. Jeez, it was actually a painful decision to move away from the idea of my own boat. But it seems that this way I can try out several types and brands - beat the hell out of 'em and then hit the bar while they fix the gelcoat!

Seriously, if I was already on the coast, I'd buy in a minute. Some day.

I'm still going to come hit you up some day soon though, dude.

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
Starting to sound pretty good to me as well Smack...my kids might get to sail with me before they start getting AARP invites in the mail that way ...:rolleyes:

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heh-heh. How is the mast disaster turning out? Is the yard throwing you a bone?

·
Handsome devil
3,479 Posts
were still working it all out.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
In many respects its a good plan if you are not looking to long term cruise in the immediate future and/or don't want to circumnavigate.

If you are limited to vacation time for longer cruises why go through the time and expense of owning your own boat which you will only fully enjoy a few weeks in the year.

OTOH, charter boats can be terribly soulless things.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agreed on the soulless aspect, TDW. Sailing a boat you're not in love with is just cheap and tawdry. But, hey, if she's a fast-moving hottie who doesn't need respect in the morning - that ain't all bad either.

·
On the hard
3,502 Posts
That's not necessarily so..... Up here at Anacortes Yacht Charter and one in Bellingham, you can charter an older boat with soul to check out the design. Plus ya get to explore some of the nicest cruising grounds in the world. Just don't plan on swimming....

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me. About 15 years ago we were boatless and chartered a number of yachts at the Gippsland Lakes in Victoria. Found it a good way of testing out different types of yachts. We also found that if you could skip the "busy" times the charter fees were half to 3/4 the cost of the "busy" times. It was also close enough to drive there so the transportation costs were minimal.

Have fun Ilenart

·
Picnic Sailor
Moody 425
2,178 Posts
Smack,

We have discovered the wonders of chartering ourselves over the past couple of years and have really loved it. Initially I thought of it as 'not real sailing'. But doing some charters really helped us become more competent and confident with bigger boats and basic coastal navigation/pilotage in unfamiliar waters. Besides it is also a great holiday, and an awesome way to see some amazing places.

Advice????
Well depending on where you charter some 'official' sailing qualifications can be handy or even necessary. Particularly in the Med a piece of paper might be required. We both obtained our RYA Day Skipper certificates just to be sure. ASA I believe has similar courses and certification levels.

TDW is right with the soulless boat thing, although this is not always the case. The last boat we had in the Whitsundays while basically being a big white Bene, had been really looked after and personally fitted out by an owner who obviously loved her to death. The boat had some real character and the wife particularly was quite taken by it.

We are about to do a charter in Aeolian Islands In Italy with my folks in a couple of weeks so wish us luck!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Smack,
I entered a yacht ownership program with a company having words "sun" and "sail" in their name.
My worst case scenario is to take the money at the end forget about the boat and that would cost me 20k EUR while allowing me free sailing for 5 and half years on 43 feet boats.
That is not so bad after all. In 2009 I sailed:
January: Antigua to St Martin and back (visiting Barbuda, St. Barth, Saaba, Statia, St, Kitts, ..)
April: Adriatic From Dubrovnik (south Adria)
May: Adriatic from Kremik (mid Adria)
Jun: Adriatic from Pula (Notrh Adria)
July: Seychelles
August: Adriatic again.
And I still have a week left.

Compared to owning a boat:
I sailed many different places
I never had to repair or replace a think
My boat came all cleaned, with fresh linen and towels,
I paid nothing for insurance, marina, maintenance, ...
When I needed a 4 cabin boat I got that, when not I took a 3 cabin boat.
After sailing I just walk away and let others clean and maintain it...

Of course it has downsides as well - but for now it serves me well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What do you want to charter, a mono or cat? Where are your thinking of chartering? Do you want to fish, snorkle, sit on beaches? Going with friends and family? How many?

I've chartered a 32' Catalina in St. Pete, a 38' Bavaria in BVI, a 36' and 40' cat in the BVI's, and a 46' cat in St. Maarten. I'd be happy to pass on any info.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
That's not necessarily so..... Up here at Anacortes Yacht Charter and one in Bellingham, you can charter an older boat with soul to check out the design. Plus ya get to explore some of the nicest cruising grounds in the world. Just don't plan on swimming....
Charlie is right. both on getting an older boat, and no swimming here, except in the swimming pools.

We can help you out with planning a kid-friendly itinerary, that includes rope swings, swimming pools, tame deer, and hikes in ancient forests.

Anacortes Yacht Charters Anacortes Yacht Charters - Best Power and Sail Boat Chartering in the San Juan Islands and Pacific Northwest has smaller boats, including two Catalina 30s that I think would work well for you.

Don't be shy. We'll help you out.

Oh.. and don't stall on this. The prime cruising season for families is very short, and books quickly. AYC offers a discount for trips booked by Oct 15.

David

·
Special Delivery
661 Posts
Charterings a good idea. I've chartered in the BVI's, Spain, Greece, New Zealand. The boats are "charter Boats", not up to stds of private boats but you walk away when the charters over. No maintenance, insurance, dock fees, etc. Realistically, I could charter twice a month anywhere in the world for what it ccosts to maintain my boat. On the other hand, you would need a place to live.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chall - have fun in Italy....you lucky bastard.

Tomaz - thanks for the perspective. I shall NEVER own a boat and just charter! Fresh linen and towels? Yeah baby!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm feeling better and better about this decision by the minute. And, apart from the love factor, I'm not hearing a lot of downside to this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts