SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for recommendations on a bbq grille for a Catalina 27. Something that mounts to the stern pulpit.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I have a Magma Newport, and its worked out quite well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
An 8 hour old post about BBQ's and no CD to be found. WTH?

We have the little round dude, runs off single cans of propane.

It is convenient.
It is too small to handle any serious work and 4 people for dinner may mean 2 shifts on the Q if you are doing the veggies as well. Our last boat came equipped with the same thing, except it did not have the built-in lid holder which truly added to the excitement, just try flipping 4 chicken breasts one-handed, on a 12in grill while holding a smoking hot lid in your "free" hand. More than one piece ended up at the bottom of the Pacific

Some day, when I have lots of cash, I will get one of those log-style SS units. Looks like they would have better heat distribution, be closer to the rail and have more capacity.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Timely question. Just yesterday I looked at a the May 2008 Practical Sailor review. Sovereign Bravo, Galleymate 1000, both Australian and both expensive, and Magna Chef's Mate Connoisseur, the lowest price, were recommended. Magna Catalina Gourmet Series was best choice. An earlier review had rated the Magna Catalina best choice and Force 10 the budget buy. Kuuma was not reviewed.

·
2,447 Posts
I've no complaints with my basic Magma kettle style grill. Basic and gets the job done.

Just picked up the Kuuma for grilling on the picnic tables at the marina.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Magma Catalina, is what we have and we like it.
We could use a little more cooking room on occasion, but its served us well for the past 5 seasons.

BE CAREFUL OF FLARE UP on any of these grills. Some greese drippings on the burners and you can get a nasty flare up real quick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the thoughts on charcoal vs. propane ? I prefer the taste of charcoal - would like to use a Weber Smokey Joe on the boat, great little grille.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Dealing with charcoal and the hot coals afterwards are a PITA on the boat.

What are the thoughts on charcoal vs. propane ? I prefer the taste of charcoal - would like to use a Weber Smokey Joe on the boat, great little grille.

·
Aura Columbia 30
26 Posts
Magma makes the Sea-BQ correct?? We just replaced our Force 10 with the "move over cause the grill is huge" Sea BQ... go big... or eat in shifts. I went big.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Nope... Dickinson IIRC. :)
Magma makes the Sea-BQ correct?? We just replaced our Force 10 with the "move over cause the grill is huge" Sea BQ... go big... or eat in shifts. I went big.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Ah folks, no charcoal on a saltwater boat. It combusts spontaneously doncha know, after exposure to saltwater.
I have a round charcoal Magma grill. I believe if you are not going to use charcoal why bother to grill. I use only hard wood charcoal (lump), No Kingford on my boat. I keep everything for the grill in two plastic buckets with snap lids. One for the Charcoal and One for the other stuff. Works well for us.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a 17in kettle grill,it has a hinged top and is a magna off brind thru
west marine. It can run off our big tank of propane or a small bottle.. It heats
well, easy to cook on and we toss it in a sailbag to store it under the lazerette
when were sailing.. Look for magma or westmarine (magma makes grills for west marine to put its name on them for advertisements) so its the same kettle
Kettles start at $140 and up depending on what you want
check on line to find the kind you like

Kathleen
s/v legacy
oriental nc

·
Registered
82 Posts
We've had a Dickenson Sea BQ for 5+ years now and we're very happy with it. Large cooking area, even heat and rarely blows out. Their quick release rail mount is very handy for stowage when making a passage. Diana crafted a "grill bag" out of a vinyl cover material (like oilcloth) that catches any grease droppings and makes stowage easy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dickenson second

When we bought our Freedom last fall it had a Force 10 kettle. Hated it. Not hot enough, not enough effective cooking area. Bought the small Dickenson rectangle Bar Sea Q and couldn't be happier. Has blown out a couple of times in strong winds (only complaint). Have sailed with it on the rail and lost the drip pan, blame that on the stupid captain (me).

Rail mount is beautifully made.

Recommend the brand.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts