SailNet Community banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Tons of books by Ference Mate', Hiscocks, Roths, Pardeys and many others--and of course Calder...but check them out --most of your questions have been addressed and answered in many other places--really--don't focus on a specific boat until the end of your search as many--yes many will fit your criteria. If you don't like the boat--get another one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go with the Morgan 33 Out Island - best of the lot!

Gary :cool:
I really agree with you on Morgans designs; intelligent compromises by a talented designer. I am selling my landlubbers paradise and going to sea again if all goes well. Sailed a lot in NE
waters, Block Is , etc and 1960 Bermuda Race - Alden 63' schooner/Boothbay ME 1929 from 30s. Though I'll be 75 in 2 months and have retained I hope adequate seamanship, I am completely lacking in knowledge of aging of fiberglass 35-45' boats. I am looking at Morgans, Island Packet, Halberg-Rassy, and Tartans. Great buys on 1967 to some 1990 boats ~ 50 to 25 yrs old. I should have enough to buy a $135K boat and another $30K for "missed items". I have a liking for full-keel boats, and am inclined toward Island Packet. My questions to you are: What is life expectancy on fiberglass (I know the composition of fiberglas used must have improved in certain periods) to retain blue water strength, and what should I look for so I that I don't buy a pretty painted, but rotten hull that may well pound apart in first squall? Sorry to be so wordy, but I greatly appreciate your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Go with the Morgan 33 Out Island - best of the lot!

I really agree with you on Morgans designs; intelligent compromises by a talented designer. I am selling my landlubbers paradise and going to sea again if all goes well. Sailed a lot in NE
waters, Block Is , etc and 1960 Bermuda Race - Alden 63' schooner/Boothbay ME 1929 from 30s. Though I'll be 75 in 2 months and have retained I hope adequate seamanship, I am completely lacking in knowledge of aging of fiberglass 35-45' boats. I am looking at Morgans, Island Packet, Halberg-Rassy, and Tartans. Great buys on 1967 to some 1990 boats ~ 50 to 25 yrs old. I should have enough to buy a $135K boat and another $30K for "missed items". I have a liking for full-keel boats, and am inclined toward Island Packet. My questions to you are: What is life expectancy on fiberglass (I know the composition of fiberglas used must have improved in certain periods) to retain blue water strength, and what should I look for so I that I don't buy a pretty painted, but rotten hull that may well pound apart in first squall? Sorry to be so wordy, but I greatly appreciate your help.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
From all the testing results I've read, fiberglass boats will probably outlive steel hulled vessels by a significant margin. And, the test results clearly show that fiberglass hulls really do not change much when it comes to structural integrity over a period of more than 50 years. Take a look at http://www.ericgreeneassociates.com/images/Boat_Longevity.pdf

Good luck from another 75 year old codger,

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
Fiberglass seems to have a usable lifespan of at least 100 years or so if maintained. Or so it looks like. To me island packets are OK for marinas and if you are only going to be in very shallow waters. But special attention needs to be paid to chainplates as they are embedded in the hull behind cabinetry. So inspection is impossible without destroying the interior. There are other cost cutting measures such as the concreat ballast that make them not worth the premium they go for. I would look for something that has better motion and performance especially light air.

With the money you are taking about the Halberg Rassy sounds good.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Whats everyones opinion on the Bristol 29.9? This is the boat I'm currently looking at since theyre very reasonably priced, solid build, and I like the layout. I've heard they are great coastal cruisers, but my 1-2 year plan includes some ocean passages. Will this boat be able to make it across an ocean?

·
Registered
94 Posts
You are asking for trouble here when you ask for opinions but asking for "everyone's opinion"?? And on a particular boat? Whether or not a particular boat can make it on a long ocean passage is as much, if not more, a function of the person or persons who sail her. This is something that many novices or relatively inexperienced sailors do not seem to understand. You as the owner determines how she is maintained and equipped. You as the owner determine how you will stow and secure gear, choose the anchor and rode, the sails and how you will provision and handle cooking and water and fuel etc. You will determine the course, when to reef, when to heave-to and when to let all the sails fly, when to change course to avoid a ship or bad weather etc. etc. You will determine whether she needs to be re-rigged, have new sails and whether her bilge pumps are adequate etc etc etc ad infinitum. So, the question is not whether a particular style or model or an individual boat can cross an ocean--sure it can--why not? The question is whether you can make the passage safely.

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Whats everyones opinion on the Bristol 29.9? This is the boat I'm currently looking at since theyre very reasonably priced, solid build, and I like the layout. I've heard they are great coastal cruisers, but my 1-2 year plan includes some ocean passages. Will this boat be able to make it across an ocean?
We have a 45.5 which is obviously a very different boat but it came from the same factory at more or less the same time. This generation of Bristols are very well made. Within the limitations of its size (carrying capacity and comfort) I have no doubt the 29.9 could cross an ocean in the trades or in the westerlies in summer.

·
Less Senior Senior Member
1,443 Posts
Depends on the year and condition. See some of Jeff H comments on the Bristol 35 so he doesn't need to cut and paste. Basically, it's a decent boat, but not the best, as you knew. It's not up to Morris or hinkley standards, but if it surveys well, and you're not a performance/racing guy, probably fine as long as you be sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
112 Posts
2 years ago I was looking at a refitted Corbin 39 with an asking price of $20k. The only reason I didn't buy it wa because it was too much boat to learn on. This boat should have sold for $80k. Don't be afraid to hold out for an insanely good deal. That boat would take you anywhere around the world.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What do you all think of this boat as a candidate?

Sure, its a restored wooden boat, but a classic and at 10K well within budget. The other 15K spent in outfitting might allow this to be a real winner.
This depends on if you enjoy randomly taking on water. I know everyone has an opinion but wooden boats terrify me

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
What do you all think of this boat as a candidate?

Hinckley Sailboat Sloop For Sale

Sure, its a restored wooden boat, but a classic and at 10K well within budget. The other 15K spent in outfitting might allow this to be a real winner.

Added Yachtworld link: 1947 Hinckley South Wester Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Is the above a good idea.

NO

For a start many yards will not haul wooden boats.

You need a vanishing skill set to work on them.

Running costs on 69 year old woodies are often unexpectedly astronomical.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Old wooden boats can be a death trap in the tropics. Wood rots quickly and silently, and you can have major structural damage in less then one season from a hard to detect small leak. In rough weather that structural damage can lead to major hull leaks that will sink your boat. Since there is a total glut of decent fiberglass boats in your price range, buying an old woodie makes absolutely no sense.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is a Morgan 36 outisland CC forsale in midland ontario for 8k canadian, needs some work.
i dont know much about these boats also can't post post link

·
Registered
26 Posts
Man oh man, that is an open ended question. Sure you can go across the Gulf Stream in any boat on a perfect day after letting the seas calm down from adverse winds. Seamanship... The real question is not the boat, but the man in the boat. $30K should find a reasonable craft.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are lots of boats available in Florida.

coming South, unless you intend to take the outside route, you will likely want to leave the States from Miami.
Many sailboats wait there for a window to cross the stream.

Just thinking you can find an experienced Caribbean boat down here... ready to go.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts